On the road again


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
August 13th 2006
Published: August 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

just cowing aroundjust cowing aroundjust cowing around

On the way to the caves addie and I stop to say hi to a cow
So we spent one night in the capital of Laos. I believe it is the smallest most laid back capital I have ever been in, in my entire life. We headed up to Vang Vieng for a few days of friends and relaxation. Vang Vieng is like a town for tourist. I don't think it would exist if it was for the famous river tubing, which is a must if you are in the country. The town really consists of three streets, each no more then a few hundred meters long. It is hotels, restaurants, tour agencies and shops and that’s it. Just repeating it's self over and over again. You don't have to think while in Vieng Vieng all you have to do is choose what restaurant you want to eat at, they all have the same menus (I mean really same they have all just photocopied one menu and about ten restaurants have it) so the main thing to consider when sitting down to et is what episode of friends you want to watch. There are I think 8 FRIENDS restaurants, which means that they play the show the entire time they are open every single day! They have all the seasons on D.V.D which means no commercials so you can watch 3 episodes in less then an hour.
So because Addie and I are so ambitious we decided to venture out of town to a local cave we had read about. After about a 30 minute walk out of town we came to this beautiful little river coming out of a cave. We went for a swim into the cave but only got so far. It was really dark and the current was going against us. We tried going in father three times but after going just past our last attempts we chickened out and let the current take us out.
The next day we woke up and spent most of the morning trying to book our flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong with no luck. After Lunch we jumped in a Tuk Tuk and headed up to the start point for tubing down the river.
At first we were off to a rough start as the water bag we had was too full with all of our clothes and we found out quickly that having the life jackets was more of a hindrance then a help. But after we stopped a the first bar and got our crap together, flip flops attached to life jackets and life jackets attaches to tubes, it was smooth sailing. We managed to stop at every bar along the river for at least one drink. At the third one it started pouring rain. At first this was a little disappointing but we figured that it seemed like every time we went swimming or were on water it rain on us so it was probably appropriate. we made it back to town just before it was dark and had a blast trying to roll our tubes a long the long skinning bridges on the way back to where we had picked them up from.
We went for dinner and a movie that night but barely made it through dinner. We were both lying on the pillows around the table and as soon as we finished eating we were ready to leave, we couldn't keep our eyes open, and it was only 9 o'clock.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

inside the caves inside the caves
inside the caves

yeah for self timers
about to lose addie about to lose addie
about to lose addie

after a rough start addie and I try not to get seperated on the river
pit stop pit stop
pit stop

all that laying on the river makes you very thirsty


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb