Just arrived in Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
August 11th 2006
Published: August 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

the caves the caves the caves

The first day of our boat trip to halong bay we went into these great caves. I don't think it was natural lighting though
Hi all
Well we just arrived in Laos after an 18 hour bus ride. Not so bad because we thought it was going to take 24 hours. I think we cut some time off since we didn't stop and most of the night we were flying down the middle of the road only to slam to a halt whenever something came the other way. At least the bus had A/C. Well for the first 1/2 hour, then it was windows and doors open to catch a breeze (as well as all the dust from the unpaved roads). A few of the local passengers did a little redecorating to the bus, breaking seats backwards and taking pieces out completely so they had more room and foot rests. The funny thing was no one seemed to care and it made the rest of us feel much more at ease to put our feet up against the windows and on the head rest of the empty seats in front.
So only 14 days left until I am on a plane back to North America. All of you in New England I will see you a little after that as I am spending a week in Canada before I head back.
AS for all that were wondering. Those guys in the photos are Daniel (lighter hair) and Chris (Brown hair). We met up with them when we crossed over the Cambodian boarder to Vietnam and have been traveling up the coast with them for almost three weeks. Or should I say we were traveling up the coast with them as we left them in Hanoi last night because they are off to Hong Kong and we still have to do Laos before we go there. Bye again boy's thanks for the fun and hopefully we will see you again, Vegas?!!!
So now that you know where I am now, let’s get you up to speed about what had been happening over the last week or so.
After leaving the town of tailors we headed up the coast to Hanoi with a one night stop in HUE (sounds like way) it was a very nice town and we took our fist cyclo ride, to take in the sights. Daniel and Chris got separate cyclos and Adrienne and I shared. It is a bike with a cart/seat in the front were you
Halong bay Halong bay Halong bay

A view from up top. after exiting the caves you try and find your boat from above.
set and are pushed around. For an hour tour around it was a dollar each. By the time we were done with our tour around Sophie had arrived from Hoi AN. During dinner we were so carefully watching for the rat that had climbed up the drain pipe, when we first arrived, we didn't even notice the cockroaches at our feet until we got up to leave.
The next day our bus didn't leave until 6:30pm so we all went on a boat ride down the river which stopped at different temples and pagodas. A little less energized then usually by the time lunch rolled around we were all ready for a nap. We pushed on and went to the last two temples and I even road on the back of a bike, the 15km it took to get there. I was still scared but my driver was a cute old man with a bowler hat and there was only the traffic of bikes going and coming from the temple on the roads so nothing to really be afraid of hitting.
After the boat trip we all took turns having quick showers in Sophie's room and then after saying goodbye to her we were on an overnight bus over to Hanoi.
Since we were running out of time, for this trip and on our visas, we got to Hanoi and booked our boat trip to Ha long bay for the next day.
When we arrived at the dock to begin our 3 day adventure it was pouring rain. It wasn’t until we boarded and had lunch that it let up a little. After a few hours on the water we came to the caves. They were huge underground caverns which looked almost fake because of the lighting and dolphin trash cans everywhere. From there we headed on to were we anchored for the night. After a nice swim we had dinner. Just like lunch, dinner was the same, same meal we would have for all the meal for the next three days. That evening we hand a few beverages and sat on the top deck talking and watching the lightning show happening all around us.
The next day we went kayaking to what was called a cave but was really more of an inlet and then to a beach to swim. On the way to the beach we got cought in a rain storm so by the time we sent into the water for a swim we were already wet from head to toe. I'm not sure it was the best idea but it was one of the best times swimming in the down pour, thunder rumbling for minutes at a time around us the sky flashing with light. Being in a small boat in the middle of no where while lightning is all around you is kind of a scary thing. But of course as soon as we got back to the big boat the rain stopped and the sun came out.
The second night we didn't stay on the boat but in a hotel on a local island. We had our dinner which was well the same as all the others and then we went to the local watering hole. After a few we headed to the only other bar in town, where I am proud to say they had the tragically hip in the C.D collection. We played some darts and headed home around 1:30.
The last day of the trip was of course the best weather. By the time we woke up for breakfast it was already hot and it was not even 7:30. We boarded the boat for the 4 hour trip back to the harbor and all went straight to the top deck to suntan along the way. By the time we were half way back and we stopped for a swim we were all so hot we jumped of the top deck. It was only a quick swim but was enjoyable none the less. By noon we were back at the harbor and we had lunch at a near by restaurant, would you believe that it was the same food again! Then it was a quick 4 hour drive back to Hanoi.
Since it was going to be our last night together we wet out for pizza and then headed to a night club we had seen earlier by the river. When we got inside Addie and I noticed that something was a miss right way but the boys didn't seem to catch on. We were seated in a dark corner and all of a sudden there were about 5 girls around us, yet none of them had the time of day for Adrienne and
The road to LaosThe road to LaosThe road to Laos

Pictures from the bus
me. It wasn't in till a "waitress" brought over a menu and I saw prices for times that Adrienne and I were up and out of there. When we got to the entrance I pointed out to the guys that all the women in the placed besides Addie and me had name tags on, even the ones sitting at the tables with the men. So after a quick look around and a minute for it to sink in, all four of us were out of there.
WE ended up just going to a couple different bars on a near by road but it was an early night everyone was tired and Chris had gotten quite red on the boat.
Our last day in Vietnam was one that past too fast. We all had a sleep in and then spend a lot of time coping each other pictures (by the way and picture posted with the date stamp on it is care of Chris) and looking around the shops. We did go and see the water puppetry which was quite interesting even though I have no idea what the story line was supposed to be something about fishing or birds or a dragon??? Not quite sure.
We had a hot chocolate at a coffee place looking out on the lake and made it back just in time to catch our bus out. Or what we thought would be our bus out but what was really just mini bus that brought us to an office where we stayed for a couple of hours and then took another mini bus to the big bus (previously mentioned) which we took to get here.
So now with only 2 weeks and 2 countries left I have to get ready for reality again. Real prices, caring about time, cooking for myself. Oh well I guess that will only be until we figure out where the next trip is to.













Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0949s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb