Background: In 1603, a Tokugawa shogunate (military dictatorship) ushered in a long period of isolation from foreign influence in order to secure its power. For 250 years this policy enabled Japan to enjoy stability and a flowering of its indigenous culture. Following the Treaty of Kanagawa with the United States in 1854, Japan opened its ports and began to intensively modernize and industrialize. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Japan became a regional power that was able to defeat the forces of both China and Russia. It occupied Korea, Formosa (Taiwan), and southern Sakhalin Island. In 1933 Japan occupied Manchuria and in 1937 it launched a full-scale invasion of China. Japan attacked US forces in 1941 - triggering America's entry into World War II - and soon occupied much of East and Southeast Asia. After its defeat in World War II, Japan recovered to become an economic power and a staunch ally of the US. While the emperor retains his throne as a symbol of national unity, actual power rests in networks of powerful politicians, bureaucrats, and business executives. The economy experienced a major slowdown starting in the 1990s following three decades of unprecedented growth, but Japan still remains a major economic power, both in Asia and globally. In 2005, Japan began a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Photos from Tottori
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Tottori
Latest Blogs from Tottori
- April 30th 2011 Pear Tree Flowers
by Words: 113 Photos: 8
- October 9th 2008 Shirakawa-Village, The World Heritaqe Shirakawa-qo
by Words: 532 Photos: 0
- July 6th 2008 Teaching and turning Japanese in Tottori...
by Words: 537 Photos: 11
- June 21st 2008 Parents visit Tottori!
by Words: 917 Photos: 25
- March 14th 2008 Hisashiburi Minnasan!
by Words: 553 Photos: 6
- January 19th 2008 Eating Crabs
by Words: 1 Photos: 9
- December 15th 2007 New Purikura!
by Words: 14 Photos: 6
- November 22nd 2007 Cultural Festival!
by Words: 959 Photos: 13
- November 14th 2007 Smelly butt...stink bugs...and inappropriate comics
by Words: 616 Photos: 0
- November 6th 2007 A quick run down of recent events
by Words: 765 Photos: 6
- September 30th 2007 59th Annual English Speech Contest!
by Words: 626 Photos: 1
- July 23rd 2007 Yukata Party!
by Words: 70 Photos: 12
- July 10th 2007 *click* Ode to Purikura
by Words: 229 Photos: 13
- June 17th 2007 Fun, eventful weekend in Tottori-shi!
by Words: 786 Photos: 0
- May 23rd 2007 Time is Flying By!
by Words: 758 Photos: 0
- March 9th 2007 Almost crying!
by Words: 428 Photos: 10
- February 24th 2007 Work on a Saturday??
by Words: 376 Photos: 0
- February 9th 2007 Big Change Next Week
by Words: 430 Photos: 5
- January 22nd 2007 Exhausted, Excited, and a little Worried!
by Words: 334 Photos: 0
- December 19th 2006 Oh sensei, it's cute!
by Words: 603 Photos: 0