Sapporo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Hokkaido » Sapporo
December 4th 2007
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SapporoSapporoSapporo

view from the station tower
Hey!

In Sapporo now. Caught the plane up yesterday . It was a good call on the flight - 40quid and it took around an hour ........... not such a good call on the hostel. We've been punished for badmouthing backpackers as this place is completely empty - thats not an exaggeration, its actually empty apart from us. Not a single other westerner to be seen.



* We had a wander yesterday - much quieter than Tokyo but it still has a good feel to it . Its reminicent of Vancouver in the way the mountains are visible to the west and its one of the few Japanaese cities that has adopted a US style street grid system .

Went to a small bar/eatery and it went like this:

(in Japanese)

Owner: Do you speak Japanese?

US: Hi, two beers please.

Owner: Ah, do you speak Japanese?

US: We don't undertand. Two beers.

The
Odori StreetOdori StreetOdori Street

where the snow festival is held
other customers: Rowdy laughter and pointing


We tried anyway ... it was the first place where we felt any bad feeling towards us - the owner didn't rate us and the other guys were just pretty damn rude to us.


* We found a snowboard shop and had a long chat with the guy there . He had done a few seasons in Niseko so we had a tonne of questions for him. It sounds great he was raving about the deep snow and freeriding, however there isn't a pipe there and he kept saying taht we'd love it because there are loads of Aussies - which wasn't really what we wanted to hear. We'll find out for ourselves tomorrow I guess but if it turns out to be too Western/Aussie infiltrated I think we'll have a look at heading to another resort such as Rusutsu or Furano. We'll see .....



Advertisement



6th December 2007

DONT LIKE AUSSIES HEY?
Can i just say young Benjamin, that you seem to be slagging us Aussies a fair bit? Yes? Not happy Jan (and you wouldnt even know how funny that is, you whinging Pom)
7th December 2007

Aussies
They do tend to bang on a bit!!!!!! Especially the birds
10th December 2007

God i want a hot vitamin drink. please send me one, oh and a banana pillow and dont you go forgetting a mcprawn burger - please, at least a mcprawn photo!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb