Background: In 1603, a Tokugawa shogunate (military dictatorship) ushered in a long period of isolation from foreign influence in order to secure its power. For 250 years this policy enabled Japan to enjoy stability and a flowering of its indigenous culture. Following the Treaty of Kanagawa with the United States in 1854, Japan opened its ports and began to intensively modernize and industrialize. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Japan became a regional power that was able to defeat the forces of both China and Russia. It occupied Korea, Formosa (Taiwan), and southern Sakhalin Island. In 1933 Japan occupied Manchuria and in 1937 it launched a full-scale invasion of China. Japan attacked US forces in 1941 - triggering America's entry into World War II - and soon occupied much of East and Southeast Asia. After its defeat in World War II, Japan recovered to become an economic power and a staunch ally of the US. While the emperor retains his throne as a symbol of national unity, actual power rests in networks of powerful politicians, bureaucrats, and business executives. The economy experienced a major slowdown starting in the 1990s following three decades of unprecedented growth, but Japan still remains a major economic power, both in Asia and globally. In 2005, Japan began a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Photos from Narita
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Narita
Latest Blogs from Narita
- May 21st 2013 Narita-Paris
by Words: 67 Photos: 5
- November 19th 2012 Vipassana, wasda?
by Words: 1111 Photos: 0
- August 15th 2011 Japan 2011
by Words: 377 Photos: 41
- July 30th 2011 Layover in Japan
by Words: 476 Photos: 10
- July 27th 2009 Sunshine coast and Japan Narita
by Words: 88 Photos: 27
- March 18th 2009 Day 6: Meeting CIEE Program
by Words: 1067 Photos: 13
- February 14th 2009 Warm Buns on Valentine's Day
by Words: 1322 Photos: 0
- January 8th 2009 Airplane meal
by Words: 247 Photos: 0
- October 18th 2008 Travelling Sickness
by Words: 331 Photos: 1
- October 13th 2008 Red Slippers Green Slippers
by Words: 295 Photos: 3
- October 4th 2008 Home again, home again jiggety jog...
by Words: 548 Photos: 1
- September 14th 2008 Touchdown
by Words: 165 Photos: 6
- September 6th 2008 Chasing the sun...
by Words: 429 Photos: 3
- September 6th 2008 I've got a phone!
by Words: 48 Photos: 0
- April 6th 2008 Training...and trains!
by Words: 1288 Photos: 11
- April 5th 2008 One door closes and another one opens?
by Words: 315 Photos: 0
- March 30th 2008 In Japan for the first time...
by Words: 473 Photos: 17
- March 26th 2008 A layover in Japan
by Words: 852 Photos: 15
- March 13th 2008 JAPAAAAAAAN
by Words: 122 Photos: 3
- January 26th 2008 26.01.08 Eine Bussfaht die ist lustig eine Bussfahrt die ist schoen
by Words: 670 Photos: 0