Collecting More Firsts on Gilli Trawangan


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
March 2nd 2015
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sunsets and Volcanoes on Gilli TSunsets and Volcanoes on Gilli TSunsets and Volcanoes on Gilli T

There is no end to the number of sunset photos one can take. All good.
Here we are, back on Gilli T after having tons of fun biking around the mellow and stunningly gorgeous beautiful shoreline of Kuta Lombok, fulfilling serious missions like where to find good surf and good restaurants. And of course, both of us getting a brief intro to the sport of surfing, for the first time ever, and also experiencing our first ever tropical storm on Gilli Air.

When Stan and I were on Gilli T earlier this month, our focus was entirely to get our Open Water Dive Certification, which we did. The intent for our return trip was to start logging dives, and get more comfortable with the sport. We were also excited because we would now be doing family dives, as our son Tanner and his partner Annie are both certified divers, and quite eager to jump in the diving boat with us after taking a brief refresher course.

We did not do any tropical family vacations when our kids were little, so this is really the first time we have had an opportunity of this sort, and it is awesome. Together Stan and I were comforted knowing that we had two more experienced divers watching our
Toasting the Sunset with a BintangToasting the Sunset with a BintangToasting the Sunset with a Bintang

We did this so often, could we call this another sport?
backs, and together we all shared some exhilarating experiences. Perhaps the most notable was having the opportunity to visit the nursery of a two meter long white tailed mother shark that our diving instructor guided us to. What this means is that, instead of the shark scooting away quickly as soon as she saw us - which is the typical behaviour - she hovered around, circling the rock we were near, because her baby was hiding in its cave beneath. We also descended To near bottom and were able to spot the baby shark. It was a mesmerizing experience, and I felt no fear, just awe. Beautiful. . . have I mentioned yet how much I love diving?

I did not point out previously that - for the first five dives with our instructor - we were always a group of three, swimming together, holding on to him or him to us. We have since graduated to the freedom of swimming alone, but always of course staying in close proximity to and keeping an eye on your buddy. On the last of our tethered dives, our instructor wanted to check something out by himself, so he found a safe
Happy StanHappy StanHappy Stan

His smile says it all!
rock which he literally planted Stan's and my hands to hold on to. We both hung out there very obediently, floating quietly and observing the underwater activity while waiting for him to return. I could not help but think that this must be what a toddler feels like when stuck somewhere safe by Mom or Dad, and told not to move til they get back. I chuckled to myself at the metaphor, and delighted in having so much trust in the one caring for my well being. We have since dubbed that spot "Toddler Rock".

So the diving experiences have been and continues to be amazing, each one seemingly better than the last as we get more comfortable in this new quiet universe. Each experience for me is a meditation during which I have no option but to be in the moment, with no talking, no planning, no predicting, no worrying, or any other such unnecessary wastes of precious energy possible. I'm hooked.

But this island experience still had more firsts to offer me. Thanks to the delightful mentor ship of Tanner and Annie, I am no longer a paddle board virgin! In fact, after an hour on
Happy BevHappy BevHappy Bev

Body language says it all!
the paddle board, I am happy to say I only fell off once. Voila! Another fun watersport, and one that I could possibly pursue back home. Even more exciting though, was getting introduced to Free Diving, a sport which both Tanner and Annie are pretty good at. The best thing about free diving was how quickly you can increase your breath retention underwater. On my first dive I went down just a few meters, then immediately came up gasping for air. Same day, a half dozen dives later, I was able to stay underwater for maybe thirty seconds. By the second day, I got down to almost eighteen metres - deep enough to wave to a group of scuba divers in the same area, and maybe one minute? Once I reached bottom, I had to ascend right away for air, but Tanner and Annie stayed down another minute or two. Like I said, they have practiced. I think Tanner said he has at times been good for about four minutes underwater. Another first and another exciting water sport to pursue.

Our time on this island is drawing to an end, and as always it will be hard to leave
Fun times With My Friend AbuFun times With My Friend AbuFun times With My Friend Abu

We met Abu three years ago, usually with guitar in hand, a minstrel on the street, and always that beautiful smile and good energy. I noticed in our past travels here how often guitar strings are either in really rough shape, or just missing, and decided this year to bring some extras along to give away. The first time we saw Abu this trip, and he was without guitar, I of course asked him where it was. He said he had not been able to play for two months, cause he had no strings. Can't begin to explain how good it felt to give him his gift. And yes, we have since shared a few tunes together. It's the little things like this that make life so special.
Gilli T. But we are moving on to explore laid back Ahmed and the east coast of Bali, reputed to have some amazing diving and snorkelling sites, including two shipwrecks to add to our collection of firsts.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. SO GRATEFUL FOR THIS LIFE.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

On the Road AgainOn the Road Again
On the Road Again

Three years on this island, and we finally take a pony ride! Carrying too much stuff would be the primary reason. Preserving body health for more fun sports than carrying luggage the other.
Same Same But DifferentSame Same But Different
Same Same But Different

But all beautiful!


24th March 2015

Oh, you really shouldn't have bought us so many presents!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb