911 Emergency! Go to Gili...


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Lombok » Gilli Trawangan
April 30th 2006
Published: May 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gili Islands

These little islands are a real oasis - no cars, no motorbikes!

Chill out, dude.Chill out, dude.Chill out, dude.

Could I BE more chilled?

The trip to Gili involved a 17 minute flight and terrible harassment from the locals in Lombok... Steph, Sally and I were glad to get over to Gili (by ferry) where everyone is way more laid back...

The islands -- there are three; Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno and Gili Air -- are quiet during the day and a divers haven. At night Trawangan would turn into a party beach... each night a different nightclub along the beach would have a "party" which would involve loud music and dancing often until the sun came up.

The accommodation on Gili is varied, but since the girls had convinced me to "rough it" a bit, we stayed in little huts for about $10 a night. For the first two nights we shared a little hut -- it was a tight squeeze but cosy and fun.

On Gili there are movies everywhere! Our "hotel" had a projector TV in a little beach front cinema... all you had to do was order a drink, sit back and watch the latest Hollywood blockbusters.... all pirated, or course.

You can also rent little "movie" cabins to watch movies while you eat/drink with friends...
Moi, avec le chat!Moi, avec le chat!Moi, avec le chat!

Me with one billionth of the cat population of Gili T!
fun to do in the afteroon/early evening when the sun has gone.

Hey Will! Hey Razzie!! Hey Boris!! Hey Guy!! Miss all you guys!

If you go to Trawangan, you have to check out The Horizontal Bar... when you land and get off the ferry, you will be on the main road -- I say road generously as there are no motorbikes or cars. Turn right to get to Horizontal Bar (take good care of them Guy) or turn right to find most of the accommodation. There is an excellent and very quiet bar at the far end of the road (having turned left from the ferries) where Razzie and Boris work... they are excellent guys! Watch out, not all the locals are so cool... if travelling with women, they will be harassed at times if they are on their own! Watch out for "Danny Bullshit"... not sure how Danny earned that moniker, but girls, stay away.

The diving at Gili is excellent - I head since I was way to lazy to dive -- and should be tried. Sally went on a dive and saw turtles and FOUR SHARKS! (Oh, maybe don't dive??)

They also
Steph n CatSteph n CatSteph n Cat

There are more cats than people on Gili T! Rob, Max... you watch out for the cats, okay?
do cool tours to Komodo from there -- I am going back in a few weeks to do one for YAK magazine!! See you soon guys!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Here comes the Sun...Here comes the Sun...
Here comes the Sun...

One night of partying went on so late that I found myself taking pictures of the sunrise!
Here comes the Sun...Here comes the Sun...
Here comes the Sun...

Whoop, there it is!
Here comes the Sun...Here comes the Sun...
Here comes the Sun...

The sky is in fire!
Here comes the Sun...Here comes the Sun...
Here comes the Sun...

Another photographer! She was from Bristol -- Small bloody world!


Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb