Gili Air


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Seminyak
May 28th 2008
Published: June 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunset over volcano in BaliSunset over volcano in BaliSunset over volcano in Bali

View from the boat as we slowly drift into the Gili Isles in the late evening
Well we left you as we were about to set off for the Gili Islands (actually Gili in Balinese means little island) and we were a bit apprehensive. However we had an early start with a taxi, then bus, then a ship that looked as though it was from the Flying Dutchman and finally donkey cart arriving about 9pm having travelled for 13 hours. The journey into Gili was magical with the boat puttering along and an almost full moon shining on the water with dolphins and fish glittering in the balmy breeze. A much smaller boat came alongside to take us off and we landed on the beach itself. A donkey cart took us along sandy lanes which were shining in the moonlight (no street lights).





We stayed at the cheapest place so far- no hot water and only salt cold water and the worst bed so far in 6 months travelling. However we felt we couldn’t complain- as it was only 80000 R or £4.20 a night including breakfast for two. So I suppose the accommodation was almost free.




Everything else was great - there are no motor vehicles or
Donkey Cart on Gili AirDonkey Cart on Gili AirDonkey Cart on Gili Air

..the sole transport on Gili Air fastr than walking - note the sandy lane ... there are no sealed roads
scooters on Gili Air (the one of three islands we stayed on) - it takes 1.5 hours to walk around it - there was snorkelling right opposite our place which was on the beach and there were loads of good places to eat.

As we have found in Bali the quality of food is high and it is so cheap. An odd twist is that on Gili Air they tend to have open platforms on stilts with thatched roofs for perhaps 2 or 4 people and cushions to lie on to eat (think Roman style) - very comfortable. Some of these little platforms had DVD and TV so that you can watch a film as you are waiting for dinner to arrive and whilst you are eating.

We spent a surreal evening looking out over the moonlit waters and beach eating pizza and watching the Bourne Ultimatum. (Everything is pirated and it took us 10 minutes to realise that the shadow of a man getting up appearing on the screen was not part of the cinema verite style but a man actually getting up as the film was being filmed from a seat in the cinema. As I
Fishing BoatsFishing BoatsFishing Boats

.. many many boats and all different colours
say a surreal evening.

Again as on Tioman Island we found that small island life gradually takes over your brain. The antidote was the people on the island - they were really full of fun and chat. As I was walking along a man balancing a couple of gallon demi johns and parcels on a bicycle asked me if I wanted transport - when I looked at him and asked how I was going to get on the bicycle as well we both burst out laughing.

When we took a days snorkelling trip around the islands the guy leading it was the guy who served us breakfast. He wanted to sjhow us the turtles and as we got closer he cut the engine, jumped overboard and swam pulling the boat behind him! After seeing turtles and fish we stopped at a remote beach bar which was a very cool place - early Rolling Stones playing - baby turtles being nurtured to go back into the sea - and we sat looking at the awesome colours around us.



Later that night we went to a Full Moon party!!!! Actually a bit boring but lovely walk back along the shining sandy lane in the moonlight. The stars in the sky reflected by the lights on the hundreds of little fishing boats on the sea.



After this we decided to stay four more days!!! Truly a magical place and when we left we both felt we left something of ourselves there.



So then back to Bali via Lombock which is very rural. Stayed in the same apartment with kitchen that we had and had loads of fun surfing and body boarding getting our strength up to go to Australia. Bali is brill and we are sad to leave it and the rest of South East Asia - but needs must. Ta Ta for now - the next report will be from Oz!!!!



Quick taster - did you know that Koala Bears are really thick - apparently they are the only animals whose brains are smaller than their skulls and they eat so much toxic food they spend 20% of their energy processing it so it is safe!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Boats parked for lunchBoats parked for lunch
Boats parked for lunch

..... we were having a day's snorkelling and had stopped for lunch


9th June 2008

Relaxing...
Well I get relaxed just reading your blog, so goodness knows how you have the energy to move on! If you go to melbourne, let me know, as Breton and Krishna (my eldest son and daughter in law) live there.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb