Climbing Mount Batur, Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Gunung Agung
September 10th 2005
Published: August 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had three days left of our Bali trip. The first day was spent chilling out in Villa Shanti, the relatively luxury hotel Sharon had picked out for the two days around the wedding. Some of the guests went back to Dreamland, but it turned out the waves were even bigger than 2 days ago and even experienced surfers were not allowed in the water. I was glad I'd opted for the calm of the hotel pool!

The following day we moved acommodation to Legian, near Kuta. However we were not too happy with the place so made plans to climb the Volcano, Mount Batur the following day, which was also our last day.

In order to get to the summit before the heat of the day we needed to leave Legian at 5am. This was no easy task as we'd been out socialising the night before 'till quite late.
The taxi arrived and 4 sleepy people ,Stan, myself, Sharon and Gary piled in. It was still dark, what were we doing??!!

We arrived at the little town on the edge of Crater Lake, employed a guide and went for breakfast in a local cafe. The guide was
Villa Shanti.Villa Shanti.Villa Shanti.

The nice serene pool, just what we needed after the hectic day yesterday!
keen to get going , many parties had gone much earlier and were already on the way back down. After about 9am the cloud creeps up Gunung Agung opposite and is lost from view. The race was on!
The path wasn't too bad and, as we're all experienced walkers, we were up in no time. The guide took us down into the crater a little way and showed us a fissure that had steam oozing out of it. His knowledge of the mountain's history was very good, as was his English. He pointed out the monkeys in the distance that live inside the crater.

By the time we reached the town again we were covered in dust from head to foot. Our loyal taxi driver was waiting for us and we felt guilt as we left filthy dirty marks all over his pristine pale blue car seat covers ,oops!

On the drive back we stopped to look at some classic rice paddy fields and were pestered to death to buy souvineers.

We arrived back at our acommodation soon after lunch and dropped into bed. Later that night we met many of the other wedding guests, finished up in a club in Kuta then said tearful goodbyes before walking home thru' the chaotic streets of Legian. Does this town never sleep?

At 6am the next day we were in the taxi and off to the airport. Goodbye Bali.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

 Gunung Agung, Early Morning Gunung Agung, Early Morning
Gunung Agung, Early Morning

The classic volcano on Bali as seen from the taxi. It is opposite the one we were going to climb,the locals don't want this one to be climbed as it is sacred.
Our friendly GuideOur friendly Guide
Our friendly Guide

The clouds are beginning to climb up the volcano


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb