Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Photos from Gunung Agung
Blogs from Gunung Agung
Latest Blogs from Gunung Agung
- June 13th 2012 Pelan, Pelan .... Another trip to Bali - Birds, Bikes and Big Hills... Really Big ...
by Words: 2070 Photos: 47
- May 7th 2012 Mt Agung
by Words: 453 Photos: 0
- January 12th 2011 Tirta Gangga
by Words: 121 Photos: 31
- August 6th 2009 Back on Bali / Bye Bye Asia!
by Words: 965 Photos: 42
- July 16th 2009 Day 169-170: Tulamben to Gunung Agung, Bali
by Words: 1217 Photos: 21
- December 24th 2008 Bali Bombers Hanged with care by the fireplace
by Words: 4367 Photos: 30
- October 28th 2008 Temples and Rice Terraces...
by Words: 746 Photos: 65
- August 25th 2008 The Scree & Sunrise of Gunung Agung
by Words: 1791 Photos: 17
- January 11th 2008 Beautiful Moments at Sidemen Village
by Words: 350 Photos: 7
- November 28th 2006 Bali: Walking on the moon
by Words: 878 Photos: 0
- May 17th 2006 Graffiti, Rice Balls And A Sacred Mountain
by Words: 506 Photos: 4
- September 10th 2005 Climbing Mount Batur, Bali
by Words: 438 Photos: 8