Rajasthan


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
February 6th 2008
Published: March 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Jaipur late that evening. We took an auto rickshaw to our hotel and suprisingly managed to fit all 3 of us in plus our luggage!! We were holding on trying not to fall out. The following day we went for a walking tour around the Old City (Pink) and see some great city views from the roof top. It was crazy, there was so much noise and so much traffic, bikes, cars and even cows! The following day we hired an auto rickshaw to take us to all the local sights. We visited Hawal Mahal, City Palace, Royal Gaitor and Amber Fort. Amber Fort was amazing, we walked to the top where we could see the views of the city. The fort was huge it had lots of character, in one part of the fort was mirrored mosaic tiles which was beautiful when the sun reflected on them. Whilst we were at Amber Fort we felt like celebrities we were asked constantly for pictures with Indian familys and children. On the way back to Jaipur we stopped off at a palace in the middle of a lake. It was stunning our rickshaw driver told us that usually you can go in the palace, but because of rainfall it was now surrounded by water. We visited a textile factory where we were shown all different materials and patterens of bed sheets, they were exquisite but realisticly we could not carry them around India with us. We were then shown Saree materials. Sam D and Sam J were very interested as they wanted to wear one for the wedding we are attending in Agra. Sam D brought a black saree with lots of sequins and gems and Sam J brought a green and purple saree.

The next day we left Jaipur for Pushkar on a bus. We arrived just as the sun was setting. We stayed in Hotel Hill view, it was a family run hotel everyone was so friendly. Whilst in Pushkar we walked around and visted the local shops. We see lots of weddings and everyone was dancing through the street. We found out it was wedding season so there was always a wedding somewhere. Lucy went back to the hotel as she was sick whilst Sam and Sam visited Pushkar lake. It was so beautiful, there were ghats where people were washing and doing holy prays. We did what is known as a pushkar passport - which is a pray by holywater where we were given a red ribbon tied around our right wrist and a red spot of paint placed on our forehead with rice. During the process we were told to make a wish and we threw some flowers, paint and rice into the holy waters. That eveing we climbed up mountain Pap Machin to see sunset. The views from the top were absoutely stunning, you could hear the weddings going on from the top.

The next day we left for Bundi, we took our first ever local bus to Ajmer it was crazy!!! Everybody was sitting on everyone and the driver kept stopping to let more people on. We loved it!! From Ajmer we caught another local bus to Bundi this time we had no where to put our luggage, they were in the aisle in everybodys way. In the end the conducter put them in with the driver as the bus was getting busy. We arrived in Bundi in the evening and we stayed in Hadee Rani again the people were so friendly and this was to be a family were we were going to be staying with in many areas of Rajasthan. There was hardly any tourists here it was a little indian town with lots of monkeys and a Fort and Palace. Whilst in Bundi we visited Tara Palace and Garth Fort. The palace was huge with amazing views over Bundi. We noticed all the buildings were blue. Whilst looking around the palace Sam D and Lucy was attacked and then chased by a monkey. It was very vicious! We then climbed up to the Fort where there were lots of monkeys. We climbed on top of the fort looking at the views as we turned round 6 monkeys had blocked our exit. Sam D started shouting help but Lucy started walking towards them and scared them off. We really liked Bundi we liked just walking the streets, there was so much character and atmosphere.

That evening we left on a sleeper night bus to Udaipur. It was horrible!! It was claustrophobic and you could feel every bump and movement the bus made. It was also very cold and the windows kept jolting open by themselves! That eveing we had to pee in the street as the bus did not stop at any toilets. We asked the bus driver where are the toilets and he pointed to the street and said take your pick. We arrived in Udaipur and slept as we were so tired. When we awoke we went shopping and brought bags, scrapbooks and anklets for the wedding. Whilst in Udaipur we visited the City Palace and went on a half an hour boat ride around Lake Pichola viewing Jagmandir Island, the lake palace and Jadish temple. The City Palace looked so beautiful from the water.

The next day we left on an 8 hour bus ride to Jodhpur. Jodhpur is a city which was crazy, very dusty and noisey. We went on an auto rickshaw to view the sights visiting Umaid Bhauwan Palace, Jaswant thada and the Meherangarth Forth. Later on that eveing we visted the clock tower and the local markets, where you could get anything and everything.

The next day we left Jodhpur for Jaisalmer on a local bus where we were told not to talk to anyone unless they gave our name for the accommodation. So when a man wearing a police uniform got on asking for money for tourist tax we refused because we thought it was a scam. Later on that evening we were told everyone has to pay it. The bus was so full that day we invited people to sit with us chairs as they were getting crushed in the aisles. People were even sitting on the roof!! We were met at the bus station by Feroz who took us to our hotel and looked after us whilst we were in Jaisalmer. Whilst in Jaisalmer we went on a 2 day 1 night camel safari where we rode camels for 6 hours to the Thar Desert. The tour we chose was non - touristic. Feroz took us in his car to temple Ludrwa it was beautiful. We were then taken to a villiage where the jeep was picking us up and whilst we waited was given chi by the family and everyone in the villiage come to have a look and say hello. The jeep arrived and we met our group a japensese guy and 2 american guys they were great fun. The jeep took us to where we would be meeting our camels we all put our turbuns on and started riding through the desert. After an hour on our camels we stopped off at a local villiage, straight away we were greeted by all the local children wanting us to visit their homes and have pictures with us. They got a bit too excited that we were there and started trying to pull our friendship bands off and fighting over toilet paper to blow their noses on. They even started proding Sam D mole on her arm and our boobs calling them booboms and laughing!! We then got back on our camels and rode to a deserted area where we set up for lunch. Our guides let the camels roam free whilst we all chilled out under a tree waiting for lunch. When our lunch was ready we were surprised when we saw a desert man who came from nowhere. Late afternoon when the heat was cooler we got back on the camles and rode for 2 - 3 hours to reach our campsite surrounded by dunes. Our campsite only consisted of a wind breaker and a blanket each. It was very basic but thats what we wanted. That evening we walked further into the dunes to watch the sun go down. Agaian a man came out of nowhere to bring us soft drinks and beer. Our tour guides set up a bonfire for us we sat round chatted and had dinner. That night was surprisingly warm as we were told it was going to be freezing. We slept under the stars it was amazing. The next morning we were awoke by a dog, who again had come from no-where. He wanted to play and he was so clean it was like he'd just come straight from a bath. Our guides served us chai and it was time to get back on the camels. We rode for 6 hours that day to get back to where the jeep was picking us up from. Overall the camel Safari was excellent, we got to guide the camels ourselves and was very non torist as promised. We would definately recommend it to anyone and we would do it again.

The next day in Jaisalmer we went to the camel festival. The camels paraded and people were singing and dancing and there was even a turban tying competition for indians and foreigners. We wish that we had more time in Jaisalmer but we had to leave on a night bus to Bikaner. We took a sleeping bus to Bikaner and as usual it was not without a drama. On the way we passed an accident that had just happened, a car had overturned and when the bus stopped everyone started running like crazy. It took us a while to work out what was happening as it was dark and no-one could speak english to us. A couple of cars passed but no-one would stop so they brought the injured man onto the bus and we sped to the hospital. After the hospital we carried on to Bikaner. In Bikaner we visited Lalgarh Palace then Junagarh Fort. At the fort we had to be shown around by a guide. For some reason they put us in the indian hindi speaking group needless to say we could not understand. They changed our group and then we had to redo what we had already done. It was a very short stay in Bikaner as we had to get to Agra for Moushmi's wedding.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



19th March 2008

Not long to go now girls!!! I can't wait to see you all, hear all your stories and see your pics :-)
21st March 2008

auto what....
Hi Sam Sam and Lucy, What is an auto rickshaw? Sounds fun whatever it is. A bit of a squeeze but gets you round. So you all went on a spending spree as well. I would love to see a fort especailly after you saying how amazing it was and the views were out of this world. India looks a pretty impressive place. I think I will add this to my list of places to visit He! he! Riding camals must have been an experience in it self wow! But how many hours??? oh my goodness that must have been tiring. It sounds like you all had a lot of fun though. Holiday of a life time ...Something you will never forget... lucky girls :) Have a great last few weeks. Try to make the most of it.. relax and enjoy.. See you all soon lots of love Mum V xxxx

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 18; qc: 101; dbt: 0.2887s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb