Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Jaipur
Blogs from Jaipur
Latest Blogs from Jaipur
- November 13th 2013 Wanderings in India - 4 - Jaipur - "The Pink City"
by Words: 314 Photos: 13
- November 12th 2013 Wanderings in India - 3 - The road from Agra to Jaipur
by Words: 298 Photos: 26
- September 15th 2013 Creepy Feckers II: Michael Jackson on a Camel, and Myself
by Words: 545 Photos: 0
- August 29th 2013 More Jaipur action.....
by Words: 971 Photos: 48
- August 27th 2013 Heading North to Jaipur....
by Words: 1092 Photos: 47
- August 21st 2013 Visiting Jaipur ? 10 Must visit Tourist spots you must visit in Jaipur.
by Words: 654 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2013 The Pink City
by Words: 1071 Photos: 22
- July 19th 2013 Agra to Jaipur
by Words: 1516 Photos: 10
- June 20th 2013 The Royal Treatment - A Ride on an Elephant
by Words: 692 Photos: 8
- June 18th 2013 Day 9: Jaipur
by Words: 733 Photos: 0
- June 17th 2013 Day 8: Agra fort then to Jaipur
by Words: 593 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2013 Traveling in India during Monsoon. Tips and Tricks of Traveling in India During Monsoon
by Words: 699 Photos: 0
- May 26th 2013 Jaipur and Jaisalmer
by Words: 461 Photos: 54
- May 22nd 2013 Time to check elephant riding off my life list!
by Words: 206 Photos: 7
- May 22nd 2013 Snake charmer: level expert
by Words: 34 Photos: 1
- May 21st 2013 Destination: the Pink City
by Words: 255 Photos: 6
- May 9th 2013 A Day in Jaipur
by Words: 497 Photos: 0
- May 8th 2013 Udaipor to Jaipor
by Words: 651 Photos: 0
- May 8th 2013 Travel to Jaipur
by Words: 467 Photos: 0
- May 5th 2013 A Jaunt through Jaipur
by Words: 1118 Photos: 8