Amritsar and Dehli


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
March 20th 2008
Published: August 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Back in Delhi we were met by Samarth. We made the most of our time left partying, meeting our Indian friends and drinking chai. As always everyone made us feel very welcome. One night we went to Prishant's house where we met his mum and dad and they gave us all a gift which was really sweet of them. On the 22nd it was a very special festival in the Indian calendar, Holi. It is a festival of colour and we were invited to Samarth's house to spend it with his family and friends. Before we left for the morning the lady who we stayed with cooked us a special breakfast and greeted us by placing paint of various colours on our face - we did the same back.
On our way to Samarth's we were spotted in the car suddenly everyone started running after the car wanting to throw paint at the white girls! Over at Samarth's his mum and family had been busy preparing lots of food. We greeted everyone by marking them with paint on their face. As the kids and Samarth's friends turned up this civilised greeting turned into throwing paint, tossing water balloons and generally making as big as mess as possible. It was great fun. As usual we ate a lot but it was lovely food.
The following day we had an early start as we travelled to Amritsar with Samarth, Manik and Son. Whilst here we visited Manik's family who owned a farm in the region. They invited us into their home, showed us around and gave us pure cows milk to drink, it was yummy, after second helpings we walked around the area which was beautiful and green and peaceful. It was nice to be out the city. Unfortunately we didn't have long as we wanted to watch the closing ceremony and the Indian/Pakistan border. When we arrived the paths were already packed with people. We struggled to get through the crowd to see what was going on. What we saw was theatre like. Each side rooted for their country in a good natured way whilst the guards stamped away and did some fast paced marching before finally lowering the flags on both sides. As we left the spectator stands we were asked for a photograph, and then another and another and another......We ended our day with a visit to the beautiful golden temple. At night it was stunning to see the gold glowing. A place of worship for Sikhs whilst we waited Samarth and Manik dipped into the waters said to be holy to cleanse themselves. We then qued patiently to get into the temple made of pure gold with exceptional detail it was incredible.
The next morning we visited the temple again, once wasn't enough! We then made our way back to Delhi.
Back in Delhi it was time to go home. Our world trip had come to an end and what a trip it was.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb