Why I love India #5 - Varanasi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Orissa » Bhubaneswar
May 16th 2010
Published: May 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Same Chai walla - 27 years later!Same Chai walla - 27 years later!Same Chai walla - 27 years later!

I kid you not - that in the left hand corner of the shot - on the top of the steps - was the SAME guy serving tea from a mud fireplace that was there back in 1982. He now has grandkids - but still takes his afternoon nap on the ghat when it get\\\'s hot. Seems happy!
I first visited Varanasi as a young backpacker in 1980. I returned in 1982 intending to live there for some months and study Indian classical music form on my guitar (cut short by a ‘crisis’ enveloping a Swiss friend who then needed to be shepherded back to Switzerland via a Delhi clinic).

I did not get to revisit the city again until 2009, just for two weeks, made all the more enjoyable after meeting my now good friend Leila Epise (French) who taught me many things about ‘being’ and ‘playing’. I got to fly an Indian kite (after many many failed attempts - and only to have it 'cut' by a young master on a neighbouring rooftop and see my poor kite descend into the water of the Ganga); play cards (a particular French game called 'chotta' - sp?); just sit and be mindful of all going on; enjoy some amazing Indian food; swim (on the other side of the river - after getting there by boat - where it is 'less dirty'); and just connect with local people in a way I had not quite done before.

Some background from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varanasi

<Renovating a boat in the traditional wayRenovating a boat in the traditional wayRenovating a boat in the traditional way

Without allowing one to be completely fleeced by an exorbitant tourist price - a boat ride on the river is to be recommended at any time - but specially at sunrise and sunset. Figure about Rs 100 for an hour if it's a guy you get to know.
Benares or Banaras, is a city situated on the banks of the River Ganges in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, regarded as holy by Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains. It is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world and probably the oldest of India.

The culture of Varanasi is closely associated with the River Ganges and the river's religious importance. The city has been a cultural and religious centre in North India for several thousand years. The Benares Gharana form of Indian classical music developed in Varanasi, and many prominent Indian philosophers, poets, writers, and musicians resided or reside in Varanasi, including Kabir, Ravidas, Trailanga Swami, Munshi Premchand, Jaishankar Prasad, Acharya Shukla, Ravi Shankar, Girija Devi, Hariprasad Chaurasia, and Bismillah Khan. Tulsidas wrote Ramacharitamanas here, and Gautama Buddha gave his first sermon at Sarnath located near Varanasi (Kashi).

People often refer to Varanasi as "the city of temples", "the holy city of India", "the religious capital of India", "the city of lights", and "the city of learning."

American writer Mark Twain wrote: "Benares is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend, and looks twice as old as all of them put
Tourist PujaTourist PujaTourist Puja

While done in traditional authentic mode - this nightly event (sunset) is really put on for the tourist trade - but a great way to keep it all alive
together." >>

The thing I love about Varanasi is that it’s like being in a full-time entertainment wonderland - there is always something weird and wonderful unfolding on the streets as you walk around - either some outlandish Saddhu (Hindu holy man) wearing or doing things from swinging bells to chanting mantras or simply just looking exceptionally cool! - or other eccentrics performing outlandish Hindu rituals (and I mean no disrespect - they are only outlandish to the Western eye) - or the play of cows and monkeys and dogs and humans on the crowded streets. There are many religious festivals (as there are all over India - but special in this place); often accompanied by free Indian Classical Concerts held late at night along the ghats (ghats are the temples and steps bordering the river).

To wake at 6am and wander down to the waters edge - this is the only place along the long stretch of the Ganges facing East - to witness the sun rise amidst Hindus performing morning prayers and ritual washing - is inspiring (meaning that it also inspires meditation and reflection on one’s own existence and meaning like no other place I
On the roof of my guesthouseOn the roof of my guesthouseOn the roof of my guesthouse

Nice place to hang at the end of the day. Overlooking the Ganga
have known).

But it’s the spiritual atmosphere above all else that brings the place alive - the fact that there is a continual stream of pilgrims coming to Varanasi to be blessed - to be married - to be washed in the sacred waters of the Ganges (Mother Ganga) - or (being deceased) to be burnt and have their ashes spread on the river.

I have met many ‘tourists’ and other Westerners in India who don’t share my love of Varanasi - invariably they have been there just for a day or so (the old “I DID a place“ syndrome); and have not gotten past the squalor, beggars, the state of the river (it is certainly very polluted), and the general mayhem of the place.

What they have perhaps missed is the quietness, the absolute charm of the locals (while the place does appear to be run by the worst of Indian corruption at the governmental level, the locals are, in my experience, honest and friendly when engaged with), the humor of the contradictions that are put in one’s way at every turn, the great local places to eat, and the many many small neighbourhoods to be
Just another temple in VaranasiJust another temple in VaranasiJust another temple in Varanasi

One of hundreds
discovered along the old narrow stone streets that abound in this ancient city. I would challenge anyone to visit every nook and cranny of Varanasi anywhere within a one year time frame.

And so when people ask me “so what would be the best place to visit as an absolute must” - my answer is usually “wrong question because it sounds like you have limited time and India needs time” … BUT….. “if nowhere else - then at least Varanasi - but let it absorb you!”.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

This is not a joke!This is not a joke!
This is not a joke!

I might be wrong - but I would guess that this is a serious claim to be taken seriously (whilst laughing of course)
Be  afraid - be very afraidBe  afraid - be very afraid
Be afraid - be very afraid

This traffic cop was enough to put the fear of Shiva into anyone even thinking of doing the wrong thing! (not)
Another normal day in the life of a cowAnother normal day in the life of a cow
Another normal day in the life of a cow

All are welcome in Varanasi stores - specially the cows
Pick the odd modelPick the odd model
Pick the odd model

A laugh - not too clear but the forth from the left (manikin) is a clown head. ???
Shivratri paradeShivratri parade
Shivratri parade

Shivratri is one of the most significant festivals of the year - held all over India but very important in Varanasi.
Playing cards at the Burning GhatPlaying cards at the Burning Ghat
Playing cards at the Burning Ghat

What to do while waiting for the body to burn. Play cards!
Fort across the riverFort across the river
Fort across the river

This is a little excursion via a pont bridge or by boat - and the water is certainly much less dirty here (for swimming!)
A mutually rewarding relationshipA mutually rewarding relationship
A mutually rewarding relationship

These two were to be found this way each evening - ready to ward of the night's chill which still persisted in March
Looking north along the shorelineLooking north along the shoreline
Looking north along the shoreline

The ghats - much cooler within the town's stone and shaded narrow laneways during the day - hot and exposed at the river after 10am and before 4pm
Occupational Health & Safety!!Occupational Health & Safety!!
Occupational Health & Safety!!

The night before Shivratri - Lighting Services Inc called in to do the job - with utmost care and no responsibility!!
Main Ghat VaranasiMain Ghat Varanasi
Main Ghat Varanasi

This is the focal point for many pilgrims coming for ritual washing and prayers and blessings.
Be  afraid - be very afraidBe  afraid - be very afraid
Be afraid - be very afraid

Local traffic cop who would scare the life out of anyone who dared transgress!
Just another temple in VaranasiJust another temple in Varanasi
Just another temple in Varanasi

One of hundreds
Luxury  BoatLuxury  Boat
Luxury Boat

Well I think maybe the TV was not plugged in..... ?!


16th May 2010

Vabulous Varanasi
Oh yeah! I luved Varanasi too Paul and so did Jordan. Bathed in your account of Varanasi. I'll email you a couple of 'happy snaps' of our trip there. Hugs Marguerite
24th May 2010

Lookin relaxed
You are looking very relaxed on the roof of th guesthouse. Like your bike. Have you fallen off yet? I owned two motorbikes years ago. great fun. Cath says hi.
1st June 2010

curious about studying guitar in Varanasi
Hi there, I found your blog by googling "studying guitar in Varanasi." I am interested in spending a winter in India just working on my guitar chops, practicing yoga and of course, just sitting an watching the magic unfold around me. Can you give me anymore information on the study of music in Varanasi? I am a singer/songwriter who has actually been to India 4 times but never made it to Varanasi (always wanted to). More about me at: http://www.kamile.com. Thanks! Kamile
28th September 2010

thanks
Namaste Siddhartha - thankyou for the very insightful comments. I will try to get more to the small village experiences you mention. Sorry so late to respond. I just returned from touring on my Royal Enfield to Leh and Spiti Valleys and Kullu. Now there is another amazing part of the Indian puzzle - such unique cultures and of course the mountains are heaven! All the best.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb