Background: The Indus Valley civilization, one of the oldest in the world, dates back at least 5,000 years. Aryan tribes from the northwest invaded about 1500 B.C.; their merger with the earlier Dravidian inhabitants created the classical Indian culture. Arab incursions starting in the 8th century and Turkish in the 12th were followed by those of European traders, beginning in the late 15th century. By the 19th century, Britain had assumed political control of virtually all Indian lands. Indian armed forces in the British army played a vital role in both World Wars. Nonviolent resistance to British colonialism led by Mohandas GANDHI and Jawaharlal NEHRU brought independence in 1947. The subcontinent was divided into the secular state of India and the smaller Muslim state of Pakistan. A third war between the two countries in 1971 resulted in East Pakistan becoming the separate nation of Bangladesh. Despite impressive gains in economic investment and output, India faces pressing problems such as the ongoing dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir, massive overpopulation, environmental degradation, extensive poverty, and ethnic and religious strife.
Photos from Bandhavgarh NP
Blogs from Bandhavgarh NP
Latest Blogs from Bandhavgarh NP
- March 8th 2014 Bandhavgarh:- The Royal Bengal tiger trail.
by Words: 1934 Photos: 10
- March 8th 2013 Tiger Spotting...
by Words: 1344 Photos: 0
- May 1st 2012 Bandhavgarh
by Words: 1614 Photos: 0
- January 13th 2012 Eye of the Bengali Tiger
by Words: 735 Photos: 29
- January 23rd 2011 Thats a big cat!
by Words: 254 Photos: 4
- May 9th 2010 Bandhavgadh Tiger Reserve
by Words: 1093 Photos: 21
- October 21st 2009 Day 7 Bandhavgarh
by Words: 462 Photos: 2
- October 21st 2009 Day 8 Bandhavgarh
by Words: 849 Photos: 6
- June 3rd 2009 Tigers, Erotic Carvings and Romping Around 15th Century Palaces
by Words: 947 Photos: 18
- February 10th 2009 Chakra, the elusive queen of Bandhavgar.
by Words: 3599 Photos: 14
- December 12th 2008 Is the 3rd time a charm?
by Words: 544 Photos: 10
- December 11th 2008 I hear her
by Words: 532 Photos: 7
- December 11th 2008 A long way to go
by Words: 418 Photos: 9
- December 9th 2008 You are good luck
by Words: 831 Photos: 3
- November 26th 2008 Bandhavgarh - tigers spotted at last
by Words: 432 Photos: 6
- October 17th 2008 Tiger Country
by Words: 547 Photos: 0
- April 15th 2008 Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve
by Words: 1220 Photos: 28
- March 26th 2008 My Fourth Decade Begins
by Words: 1294 Photos: 18
- April 8th 2007 Here kitty kitty
by Words: 296 Photos: 16
- March 29th 2007 Bandhavgarh is the best!
by Words: 464 Photos: 0