The good, the bad and the just plain silly...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Chattisgarh » Raipur
May 31st 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

GwaliorGwaliorGwalior

Jain statues on the way up to the Fort
Let’s start with the good:

The affable old man who I met in Ujjain and spoke excellent English, with an English accent mind you! He had learned it in the good old days of the British Raj... We had an interesting conversation on the importance of good education. His only flaw was a curious dislike of Sikhs to which he attributed dubious sexual morals and greediness...

The ghat's of Ujjain, the most relaxed I have seen in India, with the kids frolicking in the water, the saddhus preparing for the evening blessings and everybody else either bathing or just strolling along the ghats... This sounds of course like any ghat, but the relaxing part was that nobody seemed to notice me or at least took any notice of me and that is rare in this country.

All the nice families and people I keep running into on the local busses and trains, offering me a space to sit even when there is none...

Sunset point in Mandu, what a great spot and I had it all to myself... Also a good spot for drying anything, with a strong wind at all times which at this time of
GwaliorGwaliorGwalior

Teli ka Mandir in Gwalior fort
year was like a big hair dryer only slightly warmer!

Mandu as a whole, which was a very quiet and sleepy village in the most spectacular setting surrounded by mighty and well preserved monuments and if you go exploring further a field you will find many a crumbling palace or tomb slowly being taken back by nature...

Orcha, watching the vultures sit on the spires of old palaces and temples...

Traveling out of season, which means no crowds, fewer hassles and cheaper rooms!

Now to the bad:

Traveling during the hot season! There might be no crowds and hassles, but there is a lot more sweat!

Moving like a tornado through all the places because of lack of time, not being able to fully appreciate the places I go to... I would have loved to stay longer in Ujjain or Mandu, but alas, I want to see the South too!

Maharaja hotel in Mandu... It might be Mandu's only budget option, but boy is it crap! Probably the worst place I have stayed in in India. It looked like they hadn't spent any money since building it back in, well who knows when
GwaliorGwaliorGwalior

Childeren on the steps of the Teli ka Mandir
and for that matter, I don't think they spent any money building it either...

Even off season places like Khajuraho are still teeming with those smooth looking young men, who come up to you for 'just a talk'... I had hoped they would be in some kind of hibernation mode till the crowds returned...

The price of the national parks in Madhya Pradesh! It seems the government of Madhya Pradesh didn't think the already high price was high enough and decided to quadruple it as of this year!

Finally the just plain silly:

The price of the national parks in Madhya Pradesh!

Maharaja hotel in Mandu... The name doesn't reflect the state of the place... If I were a Maharaja I would sue them!

Bandhavgarh National Parks claim of 99,99 %!c(MISSING)hance of spotting a tiger! None of the 30 odd vehicles that went into the park the same time as I did saw a tiger, making this a very silly claim! There is however a 99,99 %!c(MISSING)hance you will leave with a lighter wallet!

Telling me that the patch of grass 50 meters away behind a bush is harbouring a slumbering
GwaliorGwaliorGwalior

View of Gwalior fort and Gwalior city
tiger and that I have thus seen a glimps of a tiger!

Some of the porn in Khajuraho...

The Indian busses which are never full! I think this is something for Myth busters to explore... Is it true that Indian busses are never full? I think they will find out, that yes, somehow Indian busses always have room for one more!

Heading down south through Chhattisgarh to the dried up falls of Chitrakote outside Jagdalpur... So much for seeing India's Niagara falls!



Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

GwaliorGwalior
Gwalior

Man Singh Palace in Gwalior fort
GwaliorGwalior
Gwalior

Close up of the Palace
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Jehangir Mahal spires
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Vultures sitting on top of the spires
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Entrance to Jehangir Mahal
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Dancing girls on the walls of Raj Praveen Mahal
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Jehangir Mahal
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Temples in the fields
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Battle scene
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Big nosed English men on the walls of Lakshmi Narayan Mandir
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Statue of a peacock inside Lakshmi Narayan Mandir
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

A peek at the Chhatris or Cenotaphs of the rulers of Orcha
OrchaOrcha
Orcha

Lakshmi Narayan Mandir
KhajurahoKhajuraho
Khajuraho

Lakshmana temple
KhajurahoKhajuraho
Khajuraho

Sculptures inside the Lakshmana temple
KhajurahoKhajuraho
Khajuraho

Early porn on Lakshmana's wall
KhajurahoKhajuraho
Khajuraho

A horse is a horse, of course of course


2nd June 2008

whoa...
easy there with the porn darlin' safe and happy travels! I head to france on Thursday.
5th June 2008

flash back
Wow these photos bring me back to when I was a teenager, I think I inspected every statue and relief in the whole of Khajurao, I was very young!!! Lol!! You didn't say anything about Gwalior, I had such a good time there. Stayed in the Gwalior school where two boys looked after us, very well. (Gwalior school is a sister school to my last school!) As I just rolled up to the school and told them that!!! Unbelievably not only did we get free board and lodging but fantastic guides and got treated like Ranis!
4th December 2008

That porn temple is where I will not be going with my daugher, on our upcomming trip to India. :D
30th December 2009

Ujjjain
thts my birthplace....and now at 23 i hav finally started living there after living in five different cities..i lov the ghats over there though the river is no longer holy ;)
31st August 2010

GOOD
I am so happy for Gwalior image thanks to display Gwalior images

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 36; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb