Tian Tan


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
December 28th 2009
Published: January 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got up early and were supposed to meet my parents at 10am at Tung Chung, on Lantau Island. However they strolled in about 12, so Laura and I had had breakfast by the time they arrived. They were very naughty. Anyway they grabbed some quick food and we began our adventure to 'Tian Tan' the Giant Buddha in the mountains. To get there we went on Cable cars (crystal) which had glass bottoms and pretty much glass all over. Not too fussed on that!!
Nong Ping was the village up in the mountains, which took us about half an hour to get to. We saw the bhodi tree (to make wishes) then head for the Buddha. It was a pretty steep incline to walk the steps to the Buddha but a really impressive view once you were up there. I think my mum loved it and that made braving it all the more worth it! Tian Tan was set on a big stand with 6 smaller women statues making offerings, these were a fraction of the size but still about 15 foot, so you can imagine the size of Tian Tan.
Next we went to the Po Lin monastery to see the Monks, we saw them prayin and all the fantastic buildings within their monastery. It was very pretty with all the flowers and mountains in sight.
After some time we head back on another cable car down to the bottom again, expecting it to be rocketing down the steep parts, but wasnt so bad, but the view was immense.
It was now time to head to the Harbour to watch the light show on the observation deck at TST. Always more impressive at night. it had been a long day and after a winge I finally found a nice bar for us to just sit and enjoy some nice Guiness. My mum had a big pink Cosmopolitan, and then some wine. The drink made everything good in the world again!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb