Yuanyang Rice Terraces


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Yuanyang
January 16th 2011
Published: January 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Yuanyang SunsetYuanyang SunsetYuanyang Sunset

Doesn't get much better than this.
When you research the Yuanyang rice terraces it comes across as a magical fairy land with out of this world sunrises and sunsets that reflect off the mirrored surfaces of the flooded terraces. They have photos to prove it too. What nobody seems to mention is that these perfect conditions aren’t exactly common and that much of the time the place is shrouded in thick fog. We spent 5 nights in the area and on day 2 we lucked out with an incredible sunrise and sunset. We’re so glad that we went out and took photos when we did. We had no idea how lucky we were as the rest of the time we spent huddled around a fire or hiding in our rooms with the electric blanket cranked up high and a good book in hand. There wasn’t much else to do since the fog was so thick there was only about 5 to 10 meters of visibility most of the time. It’s been much colder here than we expected as it seems like the whole of Southern China is having a cold snap.

Aside from the one day of good weather we also had the good fortune of staying at a really nice guesthouse in the terraces that served great food and had an amazing view (just down the hill from the popular sunrise viewing platform that charges 60 yuan for the same view). We also had some great company at the guesthouse as we coincidently met a couple of fellow TravelBloggers who actually recognized us from our blogs, and a Belgian couple that we ran into for the fourth time who are cycling their way through China into South-east Asia. It really is a small world after all.

Now we are on our way to Chengdu in Sichuan province which will be our last stop in China (this time around).



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Lunch in XinjieLunch in Xinjie
Lunch in Xinjie

Noodles on our last day in the fog.
Sunrise viewing platformSunrise viewing platform
Sunrise viewing platform

Cost is 60 yuan for the pleasure of standing on this grand structure. We hung out below it near our guesthouse for free instead.
Just before sunsetJust before sunset
Just before sunset

Waiting for the good light.


18th January 2011

Amazing photos!
Wow what great shots. Poor Jordan looks like he is freezing in the lunch time shot. We aren't faring much better here. We had a bit of a cold snap but it should be getting warmer later this week. Keep warm!
19th January 2011

Lovely!
Gorgous pictures! Thank you for sharing.
19th January 2011

Gorgeous pictures!... I'll make sure to ask you for the name of that guest house if we ever go to China!
19th January 2011

You captured the beauty of those rice terraces much better than I did when I was there. Well done and thanks for sharing!
20th January 2011

Absolutely STUNNING pictures! Really really lovely.
22nd January 2011

The weather didn't improve!
Hi Jordan and Kathie, We left the morning after you - everything still shrouded in thick fog! The Belgians and the Canadians were huddled around the coal burner when we said goodbye... Now we're in Jinghong - beautiful weather - it's so nice to get rid of all the layers! Don't think you've quite reached 'your' summer yet? Enjoy it all. Stay in touch, it was great to meet you. Nice photos again by the way. Take care, Tracey and Jim

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb