KASHGAR


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Kashgar
July 7th 2014
Published: July 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

KASHGAR SUNDAY 6.7.14



Weather: fine, hot.



Went with others to the famed Sunday animal market, really a livestock market, for the sale of sheep, goats and cattle. A dusty, busy market,bustling with animals, motorcycle utilities carting a few sheep or goats and trucks carting bulls. Have seen goats and sheep in paddocks but no cattle, so don't know from how far they have travelled. The land here doesn't grow grass, so they must either be hand fed or come from a distance. The sheep are quite tall and large and are of a different variety to any I have seen before. They have large protruding bums, like baboons, but are wool covered. Must be where they store fat for the hard days or weather. Pity my camera battery was flat!! The sheep / goats are trussed in a row with heads bound by looped rope. Very effective in keeping them still and quiet. The cattle are manhandled by rope with a man on either side keeping the beast quiet. Unfortunately my camera had no battery power so no photos. Unbelievable.



Saw a few other tourists at the market ( say 10). China is bustling with foreigners!



The army is on display and we passed a number of checkpoints. Apparently 7.7 is an anniversary of a past revolt by the Uighers and the military is about preventing another political challenge. The other evening at camp, campers close to the highway saw a convoy of many kilometres of military vehicles heading in the Kashgar direction. Up until the 50's Xinjiang province was solely a barrier against the Soviets and Muslim hordes to the west. It is an autonomous region. THEN minerals and oil was found and pressure for independence began. It has continued to build and is now a rebellious province with a strong military presence. One of our TDA guides is very pro independence and would rejoice if a Turkic state was proclaimed.



10 of us returned to town by a motorcycle utility, cramped and uncomfortable, but slow compared to the speedy taxi out to market. Dropped off at the Bazaar, really a market of colourful material, and flea market produce. Arrived back at hotel hungry, so ate a restaurant across the street, mutton pies which were delicious. Needed a rest then, so returned to room for a sleep. The hard days and minimal camp sleeps catching up with me.



Spoke with a few others about yesterday's tragedy, mood somber, but all are carrying on. After discussion with Mem have decided to continue. I can always leave at a later date if I want. I can't say this trip is fun, it's arduous, repetitive, dusty, dirty and hard work. The scenery is at times stunning, but is not generally beautiful. Possibly new countries will be beautiful. The early 'Stans' will likely be fewer people and vehicles. They will also be mountainous and cooler I am told.



Ate dinner in another close by restaurant, pita wrap and iced syrup water. Very tasty. Fancy restaurant in a relaxed atmosphere with good street views. The restaurant became busy after 10 pm, people arriving in fashionable clothing. The women wearing hair scarves and longer dresses. Amazing how they all ride scooters. No helmets here.



7 new riders arrived ready for the challenges ahead. Unfortunately I missed their introductions as I was having an afternoon sleep and missed the meeting! My room has very opulent decoration and looks very Turkic!

Advertisement



7th July 2014

Sounds as though you experienced a bit of Kashgar yesterday! Hope your camera was fully charged for some photos today! xxx

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb