Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Xinjiang
Blogs from Xinjiang
Latest Blogs from Xinjiang
- September 16th 2013 Methuselah On The Move - Update 5 (Bishkek to Kashgar)
by Words: 4757 Photos: 34
- September 3rd 2013 Urumqi, a closer look at the city
by Words: 942 Photos: 18
- September 2nd 2013 Snoring orchestras, unending wind farms and a slice of Turkey
by Words: 1376 Photos: 31
- August 31st 2013 The other side of China
by Words: 1352 Photos: 32
- August 3rd 2013 Hiking around Lake Karakul in Xinjiang
by Words: 637 Photos: 111
- August 3rd 2013 Byebye China! On my way to Kyrgyzstan from Kashgar
by Words: 848 Photos: 27
- August 1st 2013 I guess I'll stay a few more days (weeks?) in Kashgar...
by Words: 764 Photos: 67
- August 1st 2013 How much for a donkey in Kashgar?
by Words: 534 Photos: 34
- July 28th 2013 Visiting Kuqa, Xinjiang Province.
by Words: 539 Photos: 52
- July 28th 2013 on the road to Kashgar, crossing Xinjiang Province on a bike
by Words: 740 Photos: 61
- July 21st 2013 Road 216 out of Urumuqi. Crossing the Tian Shan Mountains (Day 1)
by Words: 802 Photos: 31
- July 21st 2013 Xinjiang Road 216. That's what I'm talking about!
by Words: 1666 Photos: 63
- July 17th 2013 Sweet home Urumuqi!
by Words: 1168 Photos: 62
- July 17th 2013 Turpan: an oasis of grapes in Xinjiang
by Words: 948 Photos: 52
- July 12th 2013 Yarkand
by Words: 192 Photos: 31
- July 12th 2013 Khosh Khosh Kashgar
by Words: 90 Photos: 20
- July 12th 2013 Kharghilik
by Words: 397 Photos: 45
- July 12th 2013 Hotan
by Words: 323 Photos: 41
- July 12th 2013 Cherchen
by Words: 313 Photos: 24
- July 12th 2013 Charklik
by Words: 189 Photos: 23