Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Kashgar
Blogs from Kashgar
Latest Blogs from Kashgar
- August 28th 2012 Stranger in a Strange Place
by Words: 1107 Photos: 6
- August 24th 2012 Sary Tash, The Irkeshtam Pass, and Destination: China!
by Words: 892 Photos: 5
- June 11th 2012 22 Wheels and a Dozen Dusty, Plastic Roses
by Words: 1813 Photos: 7
- November 21st 2011 #26-XINJIANG-SILK ROAD 1
by Words: 1078 Photos: 111
- November 21st 2011 #27-XINJIANG-SILK ROAD 2
by Words: 184 Photos: 61
- August 31st 2011 Kashgar - Saving the Best Til Last!
by Words: 2465 Photos: 26
- August 27th 2011 What a Journey up the Old Silk Road
by Words: 1779 Photos: 25
- October 5th 2010 Long Drives and Desert Camping
by Words: 1548 Photos: 10
- October 3rd 2010 Kashgar
by Words: 278 Photos: 24
- October 2nd 2010 Karakoram Highway
by Words: 225 Photos: 22
- October 2nd 2010 Kashgar Markets
by Words: 2865 Photos: 13
- July 13th 2010 KyrgyCarl On the Road Again
by Words: 472 Photos: 0
- November 28th 2009 The Silk Road
by Words: 1468 Photos: 47
- September 15th 2009 Xin Jiang, Nationality vs. Ethnicity
by Words: 1009 Photos: 13
- May 4th 2009 Kashgar, the gate to Central Asia! Vibrant & colourful!
by Words: 787 Photos: 24
- May 4th 2009 Karakoram hw, simply unreal...driving on the highest paved road in the world...
by Words: 1616 Photos: 40
- October 28th 2008 Week Two - our travels to the Far West!
by Words: 959 Photos: 0
- October 1st 2008 Of border crossings
by Words: 1842 Photos: 12
- September 15th 2008 The land of Mao no more!
by Words: 3149 Photos: 16
- September 7th 2008 Biking Uighur-stan
by Words: 985 Photos: 0