Lllllliving it up in Lhasa ( where did all the oxygen go???!!)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
April 29th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tashi dele from 3,600 metres at Lhasa! Sitting here with mild palpitations- think I ate or talked too much this evening and the oxygen has been diverted elsewhere, as I have been ok with the altitude up 'till now ( as long as I lie down and rest, that is!). My room is on the fourth floor and arrival there is accompanied by a near-death gasping for breath; however I am heartened to hear some of the Tibetans who live here gasping in much the same manner so perhaps there is just not enough oxygen to go round!!!!!

I have fallen in love with Tibet already; When I saw the view from our rooftop I nearly cried as it was so magical - the stunning Potala Palace dominating yet gracing the skyline in front of snow-capped mountains to nearly 360 degrees. We're based only a 5 minute walk from the Jokhang ( spiritual centre of Tibet), which is a really lively, exciting place with pilgrims circumambulating the Jokhang on the Barkhor circuit grasping prayerwheels, chanting and shuffling round in a clockwise direction. All around there are people prostrating ( a prayer like motion which involves moving from a standing to a lying position) repeatedly; in fact over here people prostrate rather frenziedly, sometimes from their home to the nearest temple : On several occasions we have been travelling on a main road when we've had to swerve to avoid pilgrims prostrating in the road!

I'm really keen to post some photos so I'll pop them up and you can see where I'm at until 4 days from now ( till May 2ndish). We're staying here to acclimatise. Loads to tell- the last 2 weeks have been soooooooooo exciting, I don't know where to start..........! Will be posting loads more from Lhasa shortly........


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The beautiful Jokhang......The beautiful Jokhang......
The beautiful Jokhang......

Absolutely stunning inside!!uUnfortunately no photos inside allowed although did sneak one near the entrance- to be posted later!
On the Barkhor circuit next to the JokhangOn the Barkhor circuit next to the Jokhang
On the Barkhor circuit next to the Jokhang

Looking rather healthy methinks considering my rabies scare, cold, altitude sickness and another birthday!!!


29th April 2006

how we long for mountains...
At last another blog from you, we're having withdrawal symptoms! Never been to Tibet - sounds fantastic. Spent a few years in Switzerland so we know how gorgeous snow capped mountains are. Be careful, they make you long for more! And Weston-super-Mare won't satisfy that as you know! Lots of love and hope to read more soon, Tess and Paul x
1st May 2006

The mountains are so beautiful.......
Hi Tess- good to hear from you! Still enjoying the blogging and my Bangkok blog has had around 160 hits now ( in fact quite a few have over 100) so somebody must be reading them! I'll keep writing as long as people keep reading! Did some yoga in brilliant sunshine and fresh mountain air with buddhist chanting in the background on our rooftop today ( so stunning views!)- it was pure bliss ! Tibet really IS amazing!

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb