Another HOT Day in Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
July 21st 2009
Published: July 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Renmin TunnelRenmin TunnelRenmin Tunnel

Tunnel behind our apartment. Jack hammer starts at 6am.
Our adventures here have been minimal since it has been so hot. Today the temperature is 99 degrees with a heat index of 112. This is better than yesterday’s high temperature of 100 degrees! Living in the middle of a big city, there is really no shade to speak of. If we wait until late afternoon we can walk to the grocery store and use the skyscrapers as shade but the heat is still a problem. The biggest accessory here in Shanghai is an umbrella. Women, and some men, carry them all the time whether it is raining or sunny. I bargained in the market for a pretty one as I figured if I’m living here I might as well fit in.

Jason loves his job. He has made a trip to South China and another one to Beijing since we moved here. We are planning a tour of Beijing and Xian in the fall. We are trying to decide what areas we want to visit and put a plan together to fit them all in. Two years will go by very fast and we don’t want to miss anything.

They are putting in several new tunnels from the
Shanghai TowerShanghai TowerShanghai Tower

Will be the "Tallest Building in Shanghai"
Pudong side of the river (where we live) to the Puxi side. We have one running right next to the apartment complex so it has been fun to watch. They are also building the next “Highest Building in Shanghai” in front of our building so we can also watch that activity. The construction here is incredible! We found that even if the weather is cooler it is hard to get around the city due to the construction. Part of the mass construction should be complete before the World Expo starting next May. They rest is just general growth in China.
Other than spending a lot of time inside at the moment I have hit the gym full force. Might as well get in shape if I can’t go out exploring. Will try to add more posts this week.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb