Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Shanghai
Blogs from Shanghai
Latest Blogs from Shanghai
- May 5th 2013 mijn buurtje
by Words: 10 Photos: 13
- May 5th 2013 financial tower
by Words: 53 Photos: 80
- May 5th 2013 de campus
by Words: 5 Photos: 83
- May 5th 2013 qi bao
by Words: 46 Photos: 129
- May 5th 2013 mijn lieve zusje was op bezoek
by Words: 73 Photos: 316
- May 2nd 2013 Shanghai to Nanning
by Words: 2267 Photos: 10
- May 2nd 2013 CHINA: Inspiring the Nomad...How I lost my 3 dots, my camera & my name.
by Words: 2098 Photos: 105
- April 24th 2013 Shanghai so far...
by Words: 433 Photos: 18
- April 19th 2013 Ce n'est qu'un au revoir
by Words: 469 Photos: 36
- April 19th 2013 Reflections on Shanghai from Gate D69
by Words: 574 Photos: 0
- April 18th 2013 Une dernière à Sanghai
by Words: 284 Photos: 17
- April 17th 2013 Trains, cranes and serious growing pains
by Words: 314 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2013 Shanghai, mon nouvel amour!
by Words: 340 Photos: 18
- April 16th 2013 En avril ne te découvre pas d'un fil! Sauf en Chine...
by Words: 1206 Photos: 0
- April 16th 2013 Eerste helft van de maand April
by Words: 684 Photos: 0
- April 15th 2013 Eindelijk een toerist.
by Words: 481 Photos: 14
- April 14th 2013 Sea Princess to Brunei, Sabah, China, South Korea, Japan, Iwo Jima, Guam, New Guinea.
by Words: 292 Photos: 18
- April 9th 2013 Odds 'n Ends
by Words: 61 Photos: 18
- April 8th 2013 City Life in China
by Words: 649 Photos: 4
- April 1st 2013 Good friends, dead pigs and sewer-oil fried pancakes
by Words: 853 Photos: 29