Shanghai Surprise - The Lone Ranger


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
November 9th 2008
Published: November 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Breaky in a plastic BagBreaky in a plastic BagBreaky in a plastic Bag

Weird, but let's try.
So I couldn't wait and just put up one day! Here it is folks:

Day Two in Shanghaiiiii



Today I ventured out by myself. Ayaaaa (what Chinese people do to express surprise, frightfulness, or shock)!

No not really too scared, just excited. The very first thing was to eat some breaky. Right at the foot from the apartment, is a tiny little dumpling place where they fry them in a huge wok right on the sidewalk and passersby will come and buy a bag of about 8 delicious, crunchy, golden brown and soft and piping hot on the inside filled with pork and herbs. Yummy. 😊

While enjoying a greasy and simple breakfast, I decided that I wanted some dress shirts. So I went to a place where Serina suggested and familiarized myself with the owner (as Adeline and I had previously visited yesterday) and got great deals. I will be going back later this week. Along the way I snapped a few shots of the streetlife. Very interesting.

I took the subway to a famous tourist spot, similar to that of High Park or Central Park but was called People's Park located in
Delicious dumplingsDelicious dumplingsDelicious dumplings

Hand made, Golden brown, scorching hot, and 4 RMB...60 cents..
what you might call it the heart of Shanghai: People's Square. It was a beautifully scenic park and amazing for people who wish to get away from the cars, skyscrapers and noise.

After my nice daytime stroll, I met up with Eric in the evening and we went across the harbor to the Pudong part of Shanghai (similar to HK island and Kowloon, but a lot closer). He showed me the famous Finance Tower (the tallest building in SH) and we snapped some great shots. Pudong is known for the modern HK type construction of highrises and skyscrapers, whereas the Shanghai part was a French colony and their architecture is smaller and older. You can definitely see the contrast in building design style. The brightly lit buildings are amazing sights to see.

When I thought my night was coming to an end, my friends Nick and Abdul from Western (now here for work and school) took me out with a few friends for a traditional Macau style dinner. It was delicious. We then decided to go meet up with more friends for a bit of a happy hour at a bar called _________ (sorry, I will find out soon) where beer is free for one hour between 10 and 11 pm. We went, we drank, and we left. Haha. We all decided to head out to a popular club called The Richy for the younger clubbing crowd. It was tonnes of fun and definitely a good way to start this short Shanghai trip! Sorry, no pictures were taken on this evening...



Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Men talking on their bikesMen talking on their bikes
Men talking on their bikes

Most popular mode of transportation is by bike.
Take your pick!Take your pick!
Take your pick!

Nope, this is not a bike store, it's outside of a school.
Shanghai Middle SchoolShanghai Middle School
Shanghai Middle School

Their uniforms are awesome tracksuits!
Temple in ParkTemple in Park
Temple in Park

So peaceful, I think they do TaiChi there.
Traffic Control OfficersTraffic Control Officers
Traffic Control Officers

The cars are so crazy, they need to hire 4 traffic officers to patrol and enforce pedestrians and cars at intersections...
Traffic Control OfficersTraffic Control Officers
Traffic Control Officers

They even wear white gloves. How classy!
People's ParkPeople's Park
People's Park

Similar to a Central Park/High Park-ish place. Lots of room to walk, greenery, right amidst downtown.
Stroll SnackStroll Snack
Stroll Snack

A little snack I picked up along the way. They look like timbits, but are hot deep friend balls of fish or something. They were served with some mayonaise and other sauce. It was delicious.
Workout signWorkout sign
Workout sign

If anybody can read this, and comment on what it says, please feel free to!
Health and Wellness ParkHealth and Wellness Park
Health and Wellness Park

In the park, and these are located in various parks in the city, are basic workout gyms for people to exercise. Very cool to stumble upon.
Pulley EquipmentPulley Equipment
Pulley Equipment

There were no forces acting against you, i think this focuses on range of motion.
More funny work out equipmentMore funny work out equipment
More funny work out equipment

Julian, you should try using this to train people...Good luck!
A reference to a trackA reference to a track
A reference to a track

You can plan your runs with distances marked down.


9th November 2008

waiting for more
great pictures and very interesting essay, waiting for the next posting, I was there before, S.H. is amazing.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb