The Year of the Pig! Issue 2


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
February 20th 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Blackpool TowerBlackpool TowerBlackpool Tower

No mention of famous towers would be complete without it.
To be honest, Shanghai has never seemed so quiet. In terms of the traffic and number of people that is - it's a bit spooky. The fireworks though (see Issue 1 for a clip) continued on after New Year's Eve and were still going off, although less frequently, on day 3 of the new year.

As a semi-tourist, I've done some of the things that most visitors to Shanghai may expect to do during a visit here so it's worth mentioning a few of those things.

A stroll down the Bund is a must. One the Puxi side, remain the colonial buildings of banks and investment companies of yore. Across to Pudong is the new Shanghai; the Pearl Tower, huge shopping malls and plush hotels. Take care on the Bund as you will be approached by 'students' wanting to chat in English over a cuppa. This is a scam that often ends in tears (yours - over your money) so avoid at all costs.

Not far from the centre of Puxi are many more traditional Chinese shops and businesses, crammed together on narrow streets and alleys. It is fascinating simply to take everything in - even when you're
The BundThe BundThe Bund

Puxi side.
not sure what it is. The stark contrast presented between the old and new Shanghai couldn't be greater than when passing the squat, semi-crumbling older buildings that are dwarfed by the plethora of modern high-rises. People are buying, selling, eating, drinking, smoking, spitting, gambling or just seeing what's going on in general. Only a ten or fifteen minute walk from the main shopping area will get you here.

Across in Pudong, the Pearl Tower makes for an entertaining afternoon out. Bear in mind that your view at the top may be less than spectacular depending on the visibility on any given day. Suffice to say that on most given days - it won't be great. I've noticed that on even sunny days the sky only manages a faint blue-grey. Anyhow, a 150 Yuan ticket gives you access to the full works. A stop at the first level for viewing - then upwards to 390 metre mark. Aside from the view, if there is one, this level hosts a photographic display of other famous towers around the world. I was pleased to say that my home town of Blackpool was well represented (!).

During both lift-trips an attendant lists
The BundThe BundThe Bund

Pudong side.
interesting facts about the tower - given in English but I couldn't understand a word bless 'em. In the basement of the tower is an extraordinary museum of Shanghai's history. There are some amazing models of houses and streets and there is a lot more to it than first appears. There's also a boat trip that may be included in the ticket but I didn't look into that. As you leave the grounds, you may be chased by sellers of model towers who rapidly reduce the price as you scurry away.

I've also included here some random pics from around Shanghai that usually don't end up in the guidebooks. Happy viewing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The BundThe Bund
The Bund

Puxi side.
Old(er) PuxiOld(er) Puxi
Old(er) Puxi

Only ten mimutes from centre.
Old and NewOld and New
Old and New

Quite a difference.
Old and NewOld and New
Old and New

Quite a difference.
Pearl Tower ViewPearl Tower View
Pearl Tower View

I did warn you.
Pearl Tower ViewPearl Tower View
Pearl Tower View

I did warn you.
Inside the towerInside the tower
Inside the tower

This ain't Blackpool...
Tower MuseumTower Museum
Tower Museum

In the basement.
Tower MuseumTower Museum
Tower Museum

In the basement.
Tower at NightTower at Night
Tower at Night

Blast off.
Blackpool?Blackpool?
Blackpool?

As in some distant future......
Night shotNight shot
Night shot

Opposite the tower.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb