Tranquility Surrounded By Chaos


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Jing'an
January 18th 2012
Published: January 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jing'an Temple - Laughing BuddhaJing'an Temple - Laughing BuddhaJing'an Temple - Laughing Buddha

Whenever I see a Laughing Buddha I have the desire to give him a big hug. This one was particularly huggable as it was life-sized.
Yesterday was a picture perfect day - blue skies with a hint of white cloud, unseasonably warm weather made even warmer by the bright sunlight. It was the perfect day to do some Shanghai exploring. A friend and I headed over to Jing'an Temple and it was the best choice we could have made.

Jing'an Temple is a Buddhist monastary that was built almost 800 years ago. It now sits in the centre of Shanghai, on West Nanjing Road. It is surround by skyscrapers, traffic, and some of Shanghai's most expensive shopping. But as soon as you enter it, you forget that you are in the city. It's almost as if the temple is under a dome of quiet - within its walls the noises from the city fade away and you are completely focused on the sounds of prayer and smell of incense that fills the main courtyard. It is instantly relaxing and such a refreshing change from the hustle and bustle of Shanghai.

It's also a stunning complex, with a series of connected halls housing various Buddhas and other statues to worship at. We spent hours exploring everything, and didn't want to leave. Just when we thought we had seen everything we found another room, or a view point that gave us a fresh perspective on the temple. It was the perfect way to spend a beutiful afternoon. I also now know where I will go if I need to escape from Shanghai for a while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Jing'an Temple - Seated BuddhaJing'an Temple - Seated Buddha
Jing'an Temple - Seated Buddha

This picture does not do this Buddha justice. The only way to describe the sculpture is mammoth and breathtaking.
Jing'an Temple - Running MonkJing'an Temple - Running Monk
Jing'an Temple - Running Monk

This monk came running down a hallway in a very un-monk-like fashion. Don't know what was going on, but clearly he had places to be!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb