Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Jing An
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Jing An
Latest Blogs from Jing An
- June 20th 2012 Of Sisyphus and His Boulder – a Happy Ending
by Words: 556 Photos: 1
- May 15th 2012 Sidste kapitel
by Words: 2343 Photos: 9
- May 13th 2012 F****! Mclaren's boss Whitmarsh was a freaking idiot !!!
by Words: 78 Photos: 0
- May 8th 2012 Fun stuff to do in Bangkok
by Words: 295 Photos: 0
- December 13th 2011 Jade Temple and garlic food attack with Nanjing Mall
by Words: 730 Photos: 27
- August 14th 2011 Shanghai.... A world apart from the rest of China and somewhere I am pleased to be leaving!
by Words: 999 Photos: 32
- April 11th 2011 Shanghai-ed!!!
by Words: 595 Photos: 23
- November 6th 2010 Please Don't Make Confused Noises When Chanting - China, Shanghai
by Words: 401 Photos: 6
- April 1st 2010 A Sunday Evening Wedding in Shanghai
by Words: 2025 Photos: 18
- March 4th 2010 25 in Shanghai
by Words: 139 Photos: 13
- October 11th 2009 Holiday in Shanghai
by Words: 330 Photos: 4
- May 30th 2009 Alumni Reception
by Words: 617 Photos: 16
- May 28th 2009 Dragonboat Festival!
by Words: 1143 Photos: 29
- May 27th 2009 Shanghai Railway Station
by Words: 190 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2009 Shanghai, Shaolin & Xi'an
by Words: 791 Photos: 33
- May 7th 2009 Pingyao: Raise the Red Lanterns!
by Words: 892 Photos: 36
- April 11th 2009 Party Night In Shanghai
by Words: 219 Photos: 0
- February 7th 2009 Spring Festival Tour
by Words: 423 Photos: 11
- November 1st 2008 Waiting for the yin's return...
by Words: 1120 Photos: 8
- October 21st 2008 Bundy Beers
by Words: 315 Photos: 8