#39 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Beijing to Lhasa, Tibet "opening" Train-Ceremony on China-TV)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
July 6th 2006
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

new train to Tibet from Beijingnew train to Tibet from Beijingnew train to Tibet from Beijing

The train travels some 1,000 miles, much at record altitudes on permanently frozen lands.
Another train-ride of a life-time has been offered to thrill-seeking travellers. A train-journey into the highest altitudes and along some of the great vistas, on its way to the "roof of the world", from Beijing to Lhasa, commenced on July 1st. The celebrations and the first impressions were televised throughout the day, and some photos from my TV-monitor give some impressions of what I hope will become a personal journey. Please excuse the quality of the photos and remember, they are taken from my television-screen:

My father was a train-engineer, and I have memories as a child, when he would lift me onto his Locomotive. For a small boy, it was a massive iron-monster, puffing as if alive. I remember how tiny I felt. He was proud of his job, powering these massive machines, and it offered the family its bread and butter. To be employed by the DB (Deutsche Bundesbahn) or German Federal Railway meant job security and an income to feed my mother, sister, brother, and me. His work on the coal-powered locomotives made it possible to become who we are today, though the coal dust in his lungs took him from us in the prime of his
 mountain village mountain village mountain village

One of the travel moments on the way to Tibet.
life.

Post-war Germany found itself in awful times, and my family, as every other living soul around us, struggled to mend the shattered pieces of their war-torn lifes, and came together once again as brothers and sisters of mankind. Will history ever teach its lessons ??

Those formative years of the late 1940's and early 1950's: Sitting on horse and wagon filled with suggar-beets, marveling at huge mill-stones grinding sacks of hand-harvested wheat, watching our village black-smith forge glowing-hot, iron-horse-shoes on the anvil with hammer and muscle, and playing Cowboy and Indian with childhood friends; during all these humble times as a child, my favorite memories are still the train-rides into the Black Forest with my family.

Working for the railraoad provided us reduced travel rates, and offered an early view into the world beyond "Muehlhausen". My brother and I hoped for the window seats of the train-car, for we knew an adventure was about to unfold. We were beyond exited, to sit at a window to the world, to see and to be explored. I never wanted the train-ride to end.

Throughout my life-time of travels, the train has offered exiting means for exploration, not
money machinemoney machinemoney machine

I found an ATM in the Bank of China of Taizhou. To help fund a potential train trip??
available behind the wheels of the car nor in the seat of a 747. The comfort of having an expert, like my father, command the engines of a train was something to be savored. Winding through the countryside and mountain tunnels, often pulled by several steam-locomotives, creeping the hights and valleys of mountains was always a thrill. The passing world on a train still fills me with awe and wonder.

Be it a trip across the Southern Alps of New Zealand, or the ride from Adelaide across the Outback to the North of Australia, or a journey on the Trans-Siberian Railroad from London to Beijing, or whisping along the Rhine-River on the ICE train, the train-travel of a life time will surely be the new direct link from Beijing to Lhasa, capital of Tibet.

Controversy has surrounded the construction of this modern feat of engineering, but it is the pride of most people here in China. For the moment, transport of vital goods to the West of China is accomplished by gas-guzzling trucks, polluting roads and country-side, only to benefit Gas Companies, Rubber Companies, and Motor Companies.

Train transport is cleaner, less wasteful, and the special GE-engines
train vista...train vista...train vista...

... on the way to Lhasa, Tibet
(from the US) give greater honor to the pristine environment, than tens of thousands of exhaust-rich, noisy convoys of trucks, polluting every mile of travel.

Consider an evironmentally friendly, fast, and comfortable train system connecting the cities of Miami, Orlando, Tampa, the Villages, Gainesville, and Tallahassee, rather than thousands of fuming busses, that pass through the fragile eco-system on the crowed high-ways of our beautiful Florida. The idea of such trains has been shelved by our leaders as too expensive, though approved by the voters, who seem to understand the environmental benefits of modern train travel.

But let comment be restrained, until I have the experience of a personal railroad-journey to this dream country, and with it acquire the benefit of additional information and facts.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

cutting ribboncutting ribbon
cutting ribbon

Mr. Hue Jintao, President of China, cutting the ribbon to officially open the tracks.
HonoriesHonories
Honories

Proud heroes are honored for their achievement and sacrifice in building this train-route.
in traditional costumesin traditional costumes
in traditional costumes

Visitors and dignitaries from Tibet take part in official ceremonies.
National prideNational pride
National pride

Ceremony in honor of a national accomplishment.
endless tracksendless tracks
endless tracks

A thousand miles of tracks.
oxygenoxygen
oxygen

To combat altitude-sickness, a constant supply of oxygen is available to each traveller.
departuredeparture
departure

Railroad stations are far and few.
hardshipshardships
hardships

Construction of the railroad to Lhasa was one of individual sacrifice.
travelling at some speedtravelling at some speed
travelling at some speed

Powered by American made, advanced GE engines, four individual machines are needed to pull 14 passenger cars toward record altitudes.
arriving on maiden voyagearriving on maiden voyage
arriving on maiden voyage

Arriving on its first run in the new train-station of Lhasa, Tibet.


7th July 2006

My friend is part of a Tibetan-awareness type club. The organization says that the train will inevitably destroy the Tibetan culture, as the Chinese will undoubtfully try modernize. But I think it could spread its mysterious culture--little is known about China itself, less of Tibet. Modernization is a big threat though.
7th July 2006

IB Test
I got a 4. Thank you for preparing me so well.
8th July 2006

sorry Schneider
hey schneider just passing by to say sorry that Germany lost the world cup....i don't even know if you like soccer but i just wanted to say that they played good. well that's all. miss ya. MARU
31st January 2009

I agree that train is the most comfortble mean for travel. The 7-days journey took me from Beijing to the Hauptbahnhof of Berlin didn't feel hard at all. All passengers enjoyed the great sceneries, despite many of them had to live on a daily diet of instant noodles.

Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 126; dbt: 0.3234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb