#40 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Taizhou Summer Floods)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
July 7th 2006
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

"the movers and shakers""the movers and shakers""the movers and shakers"

(from left to right) Mr. Cao ChunLin, former President of TTC; the buddha, a little slimmer; Mr. Feng YuQi, School Director, and my friend Arthur, who honored me by meeting his friends.
Taizhou's economy is almost totally dependent on agriculture, and rain is an important part of the next successful harvest. Over the last 2 weeks, down-pours have been very heavy in the district, and much of the farming region is now underwater, threatening the crops and lifelyhood of its farmers. I see them standing, their pants rolled up, as have peasants over the centuries, in their water-soaked parcels of land, looking in dismay and helpless.

Driving through the very fertile but flat country-side, I was left speachless by the waters across the fields, and the amounts deposited by the rainstorms, which I experienced in the safety of the city and in the comfort of an apartment.

These rains are causing, and will continue to cause, true hardships for these farmers. In areas, it is not possible to distinguish the fields from the rivers and canals. For many, living on boats has become a better refuge.

Though they are resillient, life has again become harder, and the daily struggle to manage has brought them additional suffering. The battles to save their life-sustaining field and humble home is fought year to year, decade to decade, century to century.

The wonderous
the artist in marblethe artist in marblethe artist in marble

Revered for is skills as a Chinese classical painter, Mr. Zheng Banquio is only one of the many historically important artists and intellectuals, who called Xing-Hua their home.
progress of China's larger cities is foreign and un-important to their immediate and more primitive struggles to survive. What difference do the successes and the woes of the world make to this pained and simple man, when he only hopes and prays to survive the moment.

In the older sections of the city of Xing-Hua, not far from Taizhou, the narrow streets, lined with characteristically-Chinese-single-story-houses are underwater, passable only in knee-deep water. Sad but determined faces of simple people and children are wading through the murky liquid, to survey the flooded, humble home and their meager belongings.

The misery of these gentle and hard-working people makes for a difficult narrative. Having endured Hurricane Andrew and other South Florida tropical episodes, I have a more unique understanding, how the survival instinct becomes more prominent in times of hard-ships; but here and all around me, the sheer simplicity of life makes poverty more poor and struggles become battles, when one must also fight and survive the elements. Please remember these people in your thoughts and prayers.


One of the great joys of knowing Arthur, Katherine, and Emma as a family, is meeting the special and highly educated friends
director of large private schooldirector of large private schooldirector of large private school

Mr. Feng Yu Qi was a great and fun host for the day. He permitted me to visit his elegant home, to meet his pretty wife and smart and "only" son. Enlarge the photo and note the bamboo mural on the wall.
of Arthur. We were witness to the flooding of the country-side on the way to meet his best college buddy, Mr. Feng YuQi, and a wonderful gentleman my age, Mr. Cao ChuaLin, former President of Taizhou Teachers College.

We were received in the best of Chinese traditions. Mr. Feng spoke wonderful English, and we had perceptive discussions, commentary on life, and on the two best ways of keeping slim. :-) ???

Mr. Feng is the Director of a very large private school of over 4,000 students. All are housed in dormitories on an expansive campus. He is highly dedicated to his school's success and I look forward to my next visit.

We were his guests for the day. The home and museum of the famous classical Chinese painter, Mr. Zheng Banquiao was a highlight while touring his city of Xing-Hua.

The artist Zheng Banquiao is well known throughout China for his classical bamboo paintings and caligraphy. This ancient Chinese art-form is at its best, when done with the clean, graceful strokes of hand, holding a long-stem brush, while delivering smooth, clear, simple, and poetic compositions of lines. The sparsest of strokes bring awareness of the artists
bamboo watercolors by the artist Mr. Zhen Banquio bamboo watercolors by the artist Mr. Zhen Banquio bamboo watercolors by the artist Mr. Zhen Banquio

Simple, elegant, and graceful show the classical style of bamboo painting in China. The greatest appreciation is in the simplicity of presentation.
conception of beauty. The art-form has been highly appreciated throughout China's ancient culture.

Three copies of his works now grace the walls of my "crib", and the bargaining skills of my three friends made owning them less painful to the wallet. We will make another attempt to acquire four original water paintings next time, after we have impressed the owner with our "lack of interest" in the pieces, and our indignation of their cost.

It's the advantage of having friends who know the "system". :-))



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

the buddha is loosing poundsthe buddha is loosing pounds
the buddha is loosing pounds

A captivating visit to the house of Artist Zheng Banquio in the city of Xing-Huan, in Jiangsu Province. One hour drive from TTC.
Arthur and Mr. Cao ChuaLinArthur and Mr. Cao ChuaLin
Arthur and Mr. Cao ChuaLin

Surprise shot of two smiles.
 in the garden in the garden
in the garden

A great place for a BBQ
whole house in shape of boatwhole house in shape of boat
whole house in shape of boat

The rear of the home of the artist is in the shape of a Chinese ship. I had a hard time with this conception; perhaps we understand the shapes of boats differently.
There are vases and there is a VaseThere are vases and there is a Vase
There are vases and there is a Vase

Take a moment to enlarge this photo and take a look at this hand-painted Chinese Porcelain Vase, and the art-form of creating sheer beauty from its original compounds, "dirt" !
gift-shopgift-shop
gift-shop

Let me know which one to get you :-) They are each quite dusty, but I'm sure it was to protect the colors.??
from 2nd floorfrom 2nd floor
from 2nd floor

Looking into the court-yard from the second floor of the home. Notice the fine mural bamboo painting on the left wall.
museum portraitmuseum portrait
museum portrait

Another honored citizen of Xing-Huan. The shape of his head-wear remembers him as a philosopher.
gallerie gallerie
gallerie

You might think, I'm almost ready to translate the script. Sorry!
"This man knew how to live.""This man knew how to live."
"This man knew how to live."

Polished and hand-carved wood gives this home of the artist Mr. Zheng Banqiao warmth, and the glass permits light and a view, and the gardens offer tranquility. Mr. Feng YuQi on the left, highly intelligent and great sense of humor, and now a friend.
Who gets the chair ?Who gets the chair ?
Who gets the chair ?

The "chair of honor" often brings comic relief, as each insist the other as more honorable. The process of seating is taken seriously. The ritual is performed with good-humored and exagerated insistence.
appetizersappetizers
appetizers

I had a clumsy day with the Chop Sticks. Today a piece of sweet and sour pork landed "in" my shirt pocket.(true!) I was complemented on my versatility with the Chop Sticks.
ready for lunchready for lunch
ready for lunch

The clanking beer-glasses and greetings and wishes make each lunch and dinner a festive affair. It is absolute Chinese-custom, that the driver is always included at the table. You see him on the front right, Mr. Wang Deshan.
he loved his own photohe loved his own photo
he loved his own photo

The novelty of seeing his first Westener made this man stop and take a closer look.
my late-model present ???my late-model present ???
my late-model present ???

I spotted this green late-model "trike" and fell in love with it. It needed closer inspection.
this is the prettiest Ithis is the prettiest I
this is the prettiest I

This newest '06 model, freshly "detailed", caught my eye. It looked like my birthday present, until the owner took note of my interest.
into the streetinto the street
into the street

Some years from now, these streets will be congested with cars as if "Alton Road, M.B."


8th July 2006

Well Mr. Schneider, you are looking a mite slim! Maybe you need to come visit us and eat some good Cuban food and fill up! PS. the waterpaintings are gorgous!
8th July 2006

NO
no Alton Road, ABBEY ROAD!!
8th July 2006

Hello Schneider!!! I love reading your entrys, they are very entertaining. I miss you lots...Hope your having fun and learning tons :) My parents say hello and they send their warmest regards take care!!! -Ana Portal
9th July 2006

Mr. Schneider I am sure you having a great time! I wish you the best. Please! Don't stop sending your entrys, just like your class they are very interesting.
10th July 2006

Happy B-day
Hey Schneider, just wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday. Sorry for the delay, but the World Cup final had me distracted. Keep enjoying the wonders of this world! Greetings from your student in Bremen.
11th July 2006

2 thumbs up from MIA
Happy B-day! I'm enjoying the blog.Next time I see you you'll probably be speaking in chinese.
6th July 2007

Oh,my! you've been my hometown
Hello.dear hans! I'm Darren,your super monitor in 06 class one. How small the world it is! You've been my hometown,xinghua,where grew me up and take me out there to Taizhou teachers college.And you went to there,so luck. funny,and superise!Not only did you go to my hometown, but be acomplaied with my former president, Mr.Feng YuQi, who is a good English teacher but never teach me. Therrfore, when I see your this piece of blog.I am so happy that I want to tell you this fact and share this information. You knew once you have been heared several times this place, xinghua. Even that name was notioned some times only in one class. However, you don't know. I so hope to invite you to come here again with me. So hope, so wish,so ^_^! Darren invited you! My dear teacher,hans!

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb