Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Taizhou
Blogs from Taizhou
Latest Blogs from Taizhou
- March 5th 2012 I am teaching in a primary school!
by Words: 31 Photos: 25
- December 20th 2011 #138 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (1.Christmas Greetings; 2.Freshmen Military Training & Grad.; 3. Children of TTC Teachers)
by Words: 467 Photos: 118
- November 21st 2011 #30 TAIZHOU-NEAR SHANGHAI
by Words: 593 Photos: 73
- November 21st 2011 #31-TAIZHOU TEACHERS COLLEGE AND YANGZHOU CITY
by Words: 1003 Photos: 72
- May 24th 2011 My art exhibition !
by Words: 23 Photos: 30
- February 3rd 2011 Memory at that time!!!
by Words: 62 Photos: 65
- January 1st 2011 The exhibition of art works!
by Words: 30 Photos: 0
- January 1st 2011 The practice in this summer!
by Words: 58 Photos: 44
- December 30th 2010 my works
by Words: 7 Photos: 59
- December 25th 2010 #129 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (MERRY CHRISTMAS 2010 and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011, The Year of the RABBIT)
by Words: 1081 Photos: 129
- June 17th 2010 # 125 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (*INVITATION TO TEACH AT TAIZHOU TEACHERS COLLEGE)
by Words: 1783 Photos: 83
- June 14th 2010 MY HOME TOWN
by Words: 42 Photos: 21
- May 8th 2010 The tour of Qintong
by Words: 79 Photos: 28
- April 17th 2010 #122 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Honorable Citizen of Taizhou & Taizhou's Spring Colors, 2010)
by Words: 918 Photos: 157
- December 24th 2009 #120 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (2009/2010 Holiday Wishes, A Visit to Wuhan, Hubei, and a Fall 2009 Photo Essay of TTC)
by Words: 1103 Photos: 265
- May 1st 2009 # 115 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (The Dragon Boat Festival of Qintong, Jiangsu)
by Words: 1692 Photos: 60
- April 21st 2009 #114 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( Re-posting of Photos lost in TravelBlog #113 )
by Words: 139 Photos: 53
- April 15th 2009 #113 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( Pure Brightness Festival/"Shangfen" and Spring 2009 in Taizhou) )
by Words: 2360 Photos: 87
- January 19th 2009 #112 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( Lantern Festival or Yuanxiao Festival )
by Words: 1772 Photos: 77
- January 1st 2009 #109 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (2009-Happy Spring Festival and Happy Chinese Lunar New Year, The Year of the Ox !)
by Words: 2069 Photos: 65