#36 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Taizhou is changing quickly)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
June 24th 2006
Published: June 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

young Buddhist Monkyoung Buddhist Monkyoung Buddhist Monk

This young man was not quite as talkative as the monk I met in the same room last year.
For the first time I ventured out on public transportation, rather than on foot. Bus #9 makes a stop at the corner of our street, and my Australian collegue Sue and Vivian, one of the English teachers at the college assigned to assist us, and I took a lengthy ride into the city to check out one of the major shopping centers on the other side of Taizhou. It was a good day to buy a set of umbrellas, each costing about $3.

Any public bus in the city costs 1 Yuan (12 cents), a bargain for enjoying the city scenes. Though we have been having serious rains, Taizhou on a bus offers a new perspective on the size of this expansive community of some 5 million, rather small for Chinese standards.

The construction of "major" buildings begin to dominate the downtown sky-line, and new sites are at a premium. Land is at places re-claimed by filling in some of the river's tributaries, and where once flowed a waterway or stood architectually-significant older buildings, there now is land-fill to steam-roll progress.

As in Miami's construction boom, open space in Taizhou is a developers dream. Areas, that might be
restoration-plansrestoration-plansrestoration-plans

Renovations and additions will invite visitors from around the world.
used to enhance the quality of life, with parks and water for the multitude of citizens and visitors, are swallowed by huge building projects. One of the common banks downtown is named the "China Construction Bank", with large offices on many city corners, reminding that money is available for new development ideas. May the Taizhou's city-planners learn from the mis-deeds of development in Miami and Miami Beach.

Having seen the city by bus has made it clear, that it will take some time to explore all of its sights, but there's now a familiarity of expectations when getting lost, with driving commerce by thousands upon thousands of small and large enterprises fueling the city's engine.

Hidden among one of the dusty-tree-lined streets, under construction and renovation, is another jewel in the crown of Taizhou. The local Buddhist Temple and monestery is open to visitors, and 15 Yuan (less than $2)
permit a lengthy and informative stroll through-out the compound and its temples. The restoration of these beautiful shrines are seeing a re-birth throughout the country, and cities clamour to preserve their importance for posterity.

Friendly monks greet the visitor and some try the few words of English
"two" guardians at the temple entrance"two" guardians at the temple entrance"two" guardians at the temple entrance

"... meet my body-guard behind me!"
they remember. One informed me, that some 110 monks and novices are at home here, and were surprised to see an American taking an interest in their daily lifes.
They invited me back for frequent visits.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Entrance bellEntrance bell
Entrance bell

Ceremonial bell found at most entrances to the temples.
entering the first templeentering the first temple
entering the first temple

Offerings of incence are made in large copper vessels, decorated and inscribed in beautiful Chinese characters.
second pair of deitiessecond pair of deities
second pair of deities

facing each other from opposite sides
pathway from larger templepathway from larger temple
pathway from larger temple

Once again I had the compound to myself.
behind the glass casebehind the glass case
behind the glass case

protected from the construction dust
wonderful works of artwonderful works of art
wonderful works of art

...and representations of Buddhist deities.
walk-way to the smaller chapelswalk-way to the smaller chapels
walk-way to the smaller chapels

Unfortunately dust hinders the luster of the colors.
clean monestary "Loo"clean monestary "Loo"
clean monestary "Loo"

The white narrow trench in back, above the one step, is all that keeps your "cheeks" from bonding with the floor-tiles, while sqatting and balancing side-ways. These booths were invitingly clean, but I had again forgotten my toilet-paper. :-(


24th June 2006

Wow cool. I like the pictures! Of the Temples. :) Looks like you're having fun!
26th June 2006

Hahaha, you forgot your toilet paper!
28th June 2006

temples!
i want to visit a temple, however i can't imagine living in one...i can't stay quiet for too long lol. MARU

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb