#35 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Walking the streets of Taizhou)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
June 21st 2006
Published: June 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

OOUUTSCH!!...OOUUTSCH!!...OOUUTSCH!!...

Mammma Mia, "It" got stuck in the zipper!!!! Young man in Taizhou, China is seeking help and first-aid from neighborhood-zipper-lady. Personally, I have always suggested buttons or "great care".
The rain is a pleasant relieve in Taizhou, and everyone and everything is enjoying a needed washing. The many open vehicles are quickly storm-ready, boasting colorful "panchos" and plastic tarps. Pedestrians seek shelter or share their umbrellas, as taxis are in high demand.

On my 8th floor apartment, one of the tallest buildings in the area, the lightning flashes are less bright, and the clapping of thunder is less loud than the frequent, elaborate fire-works, honoring the nightly flotilla of brides and grooms in the city of Taizhou, located in a booming area of Jiangsu Province.

Each day I take some hours to explore the city on my own. The surroundings and the sights are more familiar, and my sense of direction is failing me less. But since the city is flat, and the hot summer- haze often prevents taller structures from being visible as points of reference, Taizhou's two- to three- story business-streets still pass as too similar.

The city is in obvious transition and expansion. Updating their infra-structure, building new bridges and roads, and erecting huge concrete complexes for every kind of use, is fueling work opportunities and prosperity all around the city. The
the neigborhood dealership...the neigborhood dealership...the neigborhood dealership...

...is showing its growing pains.
capitalist style of "trickle-down-economy" is boiling, with the investment from home and abroad, and is supported through-out the population by "conspicuous"-consumption.

The extra income, if not spent on the education and opportunities for their child or on expensive health-care, provides new opportunities to improve home and enjoy life. Stores, large and small, lure their customers, with wares not so possible 30 years ago. Photographs of displays in larger stores, would show little difference from our K-Mart or Wal-Mart stores, at prices more competative then ever, yet for many still not quite affordable. One can see it in their eyes, they know it to be soon, if only they continue to work "harder" days, or study "longer" hours.

The semester for the students and teachers at the college is coming to an end, and most are beginning to make plans for a summer with their families. Many have greated me very personally and welcomed me to their school. Arriving earlier than I expected is easing the adjustment, and Arthur is always on the look-out for something special to do and wonderful people to meet.

High School graduates continue to take their entrance examinations at the many institutions around
"I lost my screw..."I lost my screw..."I lost my screw...

...and I know it's in there somewhere!"
the city, with parents, by the hundreds, praying for their child's success. I see them pacing in the heat and rain, in front of the prohibitive school gates, morning after morning. Talking about parent involvement !

In a few weeks I'll be off to Beijing, to attend an international college fair with Arthur. Not having visited last time, I'm looking forward with exitement to visiting the capitol and location of the 2008 Olympics, and for good measure experience the famous Terracotta Warriors in the city of Xuan. We are travelling by overnight train, my first in China. There are two classes for sleeper travel, "hard sleeper" (usually 6 to a compartment and little privacy) and "soft sleeper" (more comfortable, 4 to a cabin with private bathroom!!) Guess which I will encourage to my friend.??

I do need to make ONE CORRECTION re. my college address, in case you might wish to donate and send some books and supplies to the English Dept. of our small College. The street is NOT #1 Chunhui Rd. It is #100 Chunhui Rd. Below is the complete and correct address: (sorry about the mistake)

Mr. Hans Schneider,
c/o Arthur Lee
Taizhou Normal
Taizhou College main walkway.Taizhou College main walkway.Taizhou College main walkway.

Student-traffic in this photo is deceptive. Wait till after classes.
College
#100 Chunhui Rd.
Taizhou, Jiangsu Province
P.R. China 225300



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The campusThe campus
The campus

Taizhou College Campus and ponds will see a revival, as new contruction on campus completes.
KioskKiosk
Kiosk

Small book-kiosk on campus. My apartment building is in the back-ground.
old college dormold college dorm
old college dorm

With space at a premium, each dorm-room is occupied by some 9-12 students and their laundry.
the new dorm on campusthe new dorm on campus
the new dorm on campus

One year ago, on my last visit, this building was still under construction. (More students, more laundry)
on the way to the cafeteriaon the way to the cafeteria
on the way to the cafeteria

Around 11 a.m., the students begin to make their way to the cafeteria. Obviously, in this photos it is still early.
enlightenmentenlightenment
enlightenment

Taizhou is well known for its many institutions of learning. As in any college community, students form intimate relationships quickly. These enlightened and frequently placed green automats offer one of the solutions to the spreading of the deadly Aids-virus among the population and encourage personal responsibility.
Life is hard for this old ladyLife is hard for this old lady
Life is hard for this old lady

... and you wouldn't believe what she was bringing to her little garden in these containers. My friends in the country-side of Germany are more understanding of this kind of re-cycling.
very small clamsvery small clams
very small clams

Much work for little gain. A wonderful delicacy, she assured me offering some. In her left hand notice an old hand-tool, which helped her crack each of these very-small tid-bits
sweet-breadssweet-breads
sweet-breads

Graciously offered are brain of the pig, divided into serving-size pieces.
looking for the best piecelooking for the best piece
looking for the best piece

Bottom right, some fresh pork tenderloin. Cost is bargained between vendor and customer. The bean-shaped kidneys of the pig are also available, and are sliced to order.(bottom left)
ciggarettes are popular ciggarettes are popular
ciggarettes are popular

Smoking his ciggarette, this butcher is an obvious master of cutting the stew.
Hoping for a few Yuan for the dayHoping for a few Yuan for the day
Hoping for a few Yuan for the day

This gentleman offers fresh greens from his garden.
Trying to crawl out of the bowlTrying to crawl out of the bowl
Trying to crawl out of the bowl

The chop-sticks in her hand make their escape impossible and their fate has been sealed.
store openingstore opening
store opening

The opening of a new store-space is announced by flower-baskets from well-wishers.
 waiting for the plate waiting for the plate
waiting for the plate

Four new, and more tanned, frogs are looking to each other for moral support.
lb. of fish-head $1.00lb. of fish-head $1.00
lb. of fish-head $1.00

... the body is a little more expensive.


22nd June 2006

dirty eggs?? ...I hope you enjoy Beijing!!!
22nd June 2006

hey schneider!!! it looks like your having fun traveling china!!!! im glad to hear that your enjoying yourself and that all is well! take care we miss you love your student, melissa e.
23rd June 2006

I would love to visit!
I'm next to China Hans
23rd June 2006

reflections!
Dear Hans, I eagerly read each of your well written and descriptive blogs. I am beginning to understand our conversations about China not being an ideal place for our squeamish western notions.
23rd June 2006

WOW
Dear Hans, I am especially enjoying the pictures. Looks like your having fun. Enjoy!
23rd June 2006

new things everyday
Looks like you're having agreat adventure. Everyday you find something new. That's what I love about traveling. I miss you Schneider. Miami misses you.
23rd June 2006

about the books...
HEY HANS I WENT TO UPS TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST ME TO SEND YOU A SMALL BOX FILLED WITH BOOKS FOR YOUR NEW STUDENTS, BUT I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO RIP ME OFF... A SMALL BOX (8X8) WOULD COST ME LIKE $140. I'M SORRY SORRY I REALLY WANTED TO SEND YOU SOME BOOKS BUT THAT PRICE IS OUT OF MY BUDGET FOR NOW...I'M GOING TO TRY TO FIND ANOTHER WAY TO SEND YOU SOMETHING. MISS YOU LOTS. UR LOVELY STUDENT MARU
29th June 2006

hi hans
Your log is so interesting,I am at wayne's reading it.I miss you ,wish you were here for your birthday on whatever the hell day it is. We loveyou Resa ,Ron, Schatzi Abramowski. P.S. Wayne says the frogs look delicious.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb