#34 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Taizhou: Home of Beijing-Opera Star, Mei Lan Fang)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
June 18th 2006
Published: June 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

tranquilitytranquilitytranquility

The gardens of Mr. Mei Lanfang in Taizhou, honored by the Chinese for his superb performences with the Beijing-Chinese-Opera.
Taizhou City is hot and humid this June, with temperatures of over 36 degrees Celcius, deep and sweltering 95+ Fahrenheit. Though the topography is flat, as in Florida, the sun is rarely visible; late-afternoon as a small gold-red ball through the haze from my balcony, making me appreciate the "Miami blue and green tropics".

After loosing myself for hours in the city, my A/C and apartment offered a comfortable refuge from the stifling air, and familiarizing myself in this sprawling bee-hive of a city, encouraged a well-deserved rest in the "Chilled-Crib" on campus.

My new surroundings are becoming more familiar, though I am still the object of curiosity where-ever I walk. I'm definitively not sure if they are giggling at my size, or with joy of having said "hello", probably the first time to a Westener.

There are some new friends, whose photos I was 'permitted' to take, and brought back as a small gift. They cheerfully appreciated the effort as un-expected, and signaled to each other as the one more handsome. I promised a next visit, and had their offer of some "very" local food, I'm just not sure how " local." The four cooks and entrepreneurs
Entrance of Mr. MeiEntrance of Mr. MeiEntrance of Mr. Mei

Fountains, and fish will add much to the former splendor, once renovation is complete.
can be seen posing again, below.

One of the homes and gardens, presently maintained with some difficulties during this time of construction and renovation in the city of Taizhou, is the architectually important home and residence of the famous and very honored actor, Mr. Mei Lanfang. For the moment the compound is located in an area, surrounded by the dust of construction along the river. It is the same bridge-construction from my last visit.

Upon entering the gate, the surprised attendent will gladly take your 15 Yuan entrance fee, and home and garden are yours for the next hours. In a hot city, crowded with noisy activity, having this place to myself will become a frequent past-time, and these photos should convey the reason why?

The Pictures offer a glimmer into the home of a beloved man, admired for his courage by the Chinese people, and his open defiance to the Japanese Occupation of WWII, when he refused to perform for the Japanese, at great personal risk. Though I cannot understand the Chinese dialog of movies shown on television, the films make it clear, that forgiveness for the consequences of that invasion is still a long way off.

The elements of the Chinese Garden: The naturally shaped trees, offering shade in the summer heat to the fatigued visitor, as he walks on stone paths; the water- lillies and fish-ponds, refreshing the ever-changing vista; and the stones and caves and hills, that remind of times when host and guest and nature were as one.

Once the new river crossing is completed, and this home and garden has been restored to earlier splendor, it will be a jewel in the city of Taizhou, for many to visit. Though the entrance for the moment is a dust-nightmare, many of the rooms on the property are used to teach some of the Chinese arts, including the un-usual Chinese one-string instrument, which a few children proudly played, as parents and teacher offered me a small stool. You can see the concentration on their faces and fingers.

Let me offer you the opportunity again to mail some of your favorite English books, photo books of the US and its States, and posters and picture calendars for our small English Dept. at the College to:

Mr. Hans Schneider
c/o Arthur Lee
Taizhou Normal College
#1 Chunhui Rd.
Taizhou, Jiangsu Province
Honoring Mr. Mei LanfangHonoring Mr. Mei LanfangHonoring Mr. Mei Lanfang

His graceful features warm even the marble stone.

P.R. China 225300

You have no idea how much they will be appreciated.
Thank you and missing you.





Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

person and actorperson and actor
person and actor

Mr.Mei, proud person and gentle actor
Mr. Mei Lanfang in costumeMr. Mei Lanfang in costume
Mr. Mei Lanfang in costume

still young, between local relatives
Some of Mr. Mei's stage personalitiesSome of Mr. Mei's stage personalities
Some of Mr. Mei's stage personalities

Wall mounted and life-size photos of Mr. Mei
resisting the Japaneseresisting the Japanese
resisting the Japanese

Honored among the revolutionaries of China.
more of the charactersmore of the characters
more of the characters

His impersenations of all these characters are part of Chinese culture.
meant to staymeant to stay
meant to stay

The stone-table set has cooled many "cheeks".
A good place to set up houseA good place to set up house
A good place to set up house

Visitors and guests of Mr. Mei were enveloped by calm.
beautifully alonebeautifully alone
beautifully alone

As you can see, no one to share this sight.
teacher and pupilteacher and pupil
teacher and pupil

Teacher and student are hoping to impress with their best performance.
The story of Mr. Mei Lanfang,  pt. 1The story of Mr. Mei Lanfang,  pt. 1
The story of Mr. Mei Lanfang, pt. 1

If you enlarge the photo, the text will give wonderful information.
the story of Mr. Mei Lanfang,  pt. 2the story of Mr. Mei Lanfang,  pt. 2
the story of Mr. Mei Lanfang, pt. 2

Enlarge the photo, and read about his Taizhou connections.
They are proud of their little restaurantThey are proud of their little restaurant
They are proud of their little restaurant

They have given me an open invitation to sample their fare.


18th June 2006

oh god
oh god schneider this place looks sooooo beautiful.... it's actually very interesting and different from what we're used to seeing, im enjoying your blogs quiet a bit, i must admit and by the way watch out in that little restaurant and eating that food 8-) it might be...ehm you know people's pets haha :-) hope all remains well on the other side of the world and if it makes you feel any better today's cloudy here as well :-)
18th June 2006

I love Chinese Opera. I saw that movie, Farewell my Concubine, and I thought "how pretty!" Just like that guys house! ^__^ I have plenty of books laying around, so expect a package soon! But all my posters and calendars are in Spanish, so...

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb