Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Hangzhou
Blogs from Hangzhou
Latest Blogs from Hangzhou
- May 20th 2013 Productive monday!
by Words: 607 Photos: 1
- May 17th 2013 Sardines!!
by Words: 852 Photos: 2
- May 15th 2013 Self-Culturalization and Self-Actualization
by Words: 731 Photos: 9
- May 15th 2013 The art of Struggling
by Words: 1400 Photos: 5
- May 8th 2013 Rainy day in May
by Words: 432 Photos: 2
- May 6th 2013 Rain Rain, please go away!
by Words: 151 Photos: 0
- May 4th 2013 Officially a Chinese Princess
by Words: 899 Photos: 11
- May 4th 2013 Contemplating at the canteen
by Words: 1015 Photos: 3
- May 1st 2013 Feeln the heat
by Words: 619 Photos: 1
- April 30th 2013 Rabbit rabbit!
by Words: 1778 Photos: 0
- April 27th 2013 I can ride my bike with no handle bars
by Words: 406 Photos: 7
- April 26th 2013 Open your heart, mind.. And buddha belly!
by Words: 1079 Photos: 3
- April 25th 2013 Hangzhou is awesome!
by Words: 1062 Photos: 10
- April 15th 2013 Hangzhou, paradis chinois sur terre
by Words: 256 Photos: 17
- April 14th 2013 Ils sont fous ces empereurs chinois
by Words: 251 Photos: 15
- April 13th 2013 Tree Branches and Trickery
by Words: 1303 Photos: 2
- April 8th 2013 Ok Ok Ok
by Words: 620 Photos: 2
- April 3rd 2013 Chalk It Up to Experience
by Words: 536 Photos: 0
- March 29th 2013 Stories
by Words: 465 Photos: 0
- March 21st 2013 There's No Such Thing as Breakfast in China
by Words: 1174 Photos: 7