Sanya Renaissance 2013 - Nanshan Temple


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hainan » Sanya
August 9th 2013
Published: August 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Friday, 9th August 2013

The countryside was decked with beautiful shades of green which most visitors would not have the time to linger on since they would be heading straight to the beaches.


Breakfast at the Red Star Café this morning was an unforgettable experience. The huge restaurant was decorated in traditional Chinese furnishings with dark rosewood interiors overlooking the resort's infinity pool. The spread was enormous with a good mix of Asian and Western staples. Eggs Benedict was a surprise find at the cooking station available in both Hainanese and traditional versions.

The only tourist facility that we visited during our two nights in Sanya was the Nanshan Temple, part of the sprawling Nanshan Cultural Tourism Zone. This was about 60km from where we stayed along the southern coast of Hainan Island. The landmark of Nanshan, the 108m statute of Guan Yin overlooking the South China Sea was one of the major highlights. Certainly, this was a sight to behold as we lost count of the number of pictures we took at the temple complex.

Entry fees was a hefty RMB 121 (RMB 150 during peak periods). Still, this did not deter the hoards of visitors that transcended onto the temple grounds daily.

Back at the Renaissance in the afternoon, we found time for some beach activities by the sea to while the rest of the day away. The grey skies that greeted us the day before were gone. The waters and skies had miraculously turned into beautiful hues of blue overlooking Haitang Bay.

As our day continued into the night, we were generally happy with what we had seen and experienced in Sanya. The sun, the sea and the blue skies. Regrettably, the prices in touristy Hainan were on a high side. The countryside was decked with beautiful shades of green which most visitors would not have the time to linger on since they would be heading straight to the beaches upon arrival. This was a pity in that true Hainan probably lies beneath the glittering sands waiting for visitors to discover in a different fashion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 84; dbt: 0.2217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb