Sanya Renaissance 2013 - Haikou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hainan » Haikou
August 10th 2013
Published: August 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, 10th August 2013


Travel is more than just a holiday. It's a journey of experience where you leave your comfort zone and prejudices.

- Vinny Kuah (My Journeys of Discovery)


I was up before 540am this morning in order to catch the first glimpse of sunlight over Haitang Bay. I was happy to sacrifice that few moments of sleep in exchange for the exceptional view by the beach. There were a couple of other early birds as well. Some were armed with their DSLRs. Others just wanted to have a good time as we welcomed the very first rays of light over the horizon. The morning breeze over the peaceful Haitang Bay had a calming effect on the body and soul.

Breakfast was still a wonderful encounter this morning even though we noticed that the crowd had swelled considerably compared to the day before. We were happy to settle down at a quiet spot in the restaurant even though it was much further away from the buffet table.

By 1130am, we were ready to bid farewell to Renaissance Sanya as we made our rail journey back to the city of Haikou, some 270km away. If tranquil Haitang Bay provided the necessary ingredients for a peaceful vacation, busy Haikou would probably provide a completely different perspective.

Still, it was possible to seek a cooling respite at the Evergreen Park (万绿园) overlooking Haikou Bay. Some ten thousand coconut trees were planted and it was easy to find a shady spot under those trees for a cold serving of coconut juice. From the park, nice vistas of the city's modern skyline could be had.

On our way back to the hotel in the evening, we stopped by at the iconic Customs House for some picture taking opportunities. Our final dinner in Hainan was an all Hong Kong affair as we decided for a change from the usual fare.

Our four-day trip to Hainan was a relaxed affair as we kept the sight-seeing plans to the minimum. The train journeys were memorable and so did our stay at the Renaissance Resort. Certainly, this was a nice getaway from work over the extended weekend as we look forward to more journeys in 2014.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.542s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 21; qc: 34; dbt: 0.4471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb