Merrittlocks and the Three Scooters


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Chaoyang district
August 20th 2011
Published: August 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Once upon a time, there was a young woman fair with golden hair and green eyes. She had been living in the Middle Kingdom for nearly four years and had decided it was time for a lifestyle upgrade. No more was she content to ride the subway or take the bus to her destination. She had realized that there was so much more to see and experience in her kingdom than the sweaty rush hour crush of humanity on Line 10.

So she decided to buy an electric scooter.

She began her search at a local electric scooter shop in her neighborhood, per the recommendation of one of "the family" (as her close group of friends in the kingdom were known). The door to the shop was open and so she walked right in.

There were many scooters of various sizes, colors and models from which to choose. She tentatively sat on the first scooter that caught her eye and immediately leapt off with a howl. "This scooter is too hot!" The black leather seat had been baking under the afternoon sun. She gingerly lowered herself onto another scooter, this time in the air-conditioned showroom. The frigid leather stung her bare legs. "This scooter is too cold!". Finally, she found a third scooter outside in the shade that felt just right.

The problem was that that particular scooter was already sold. She had to find another one. Looking carefully at the available scooters sitting in the shade, she first tried an attractive white scooter that looked like a small motorcycle. Though it was very eye-catching, there was only one problem- "This scooter is too big!". Next she tried a very thin scooter that more closely resembled a bicycle than a vespa. "This scooter is too small!". Finally, the shopkeeper showed her a secondhand black yamaha. "This scooter is just right!".

So she took it for a test drive.

The not-too-hot, not-too-cold, not-too-big, not-too-small scooter drove like a dream. The tires were of BMW quality, the seat as soft as a pillow, the torque powerful enough to leave bicycles in the dust but not powerful enough to be unmanageable, and the horn loud enough to scare errant pedestrians back onto the sidewalk.

It was perfect.

After a pleasant exchange with the shopkeeper, the young woman drove away with her perfectly used scooter, complete with a brand-new set of batteries and the strongest lock money could buy. The wind whipping through her hair (as scooter helmets are a scarce find in her kingdom, indeed), she felt confident, powerful and efficient. No more damsel-in-distress waiting for the taxis that never come! No more invasion of personal space on the kingdom's woefully overcrowded public transportation carriages! At last, the ability to take control of her own destiny.

And so she lived happily ever after- or she will once she finds that elusive helmet.


Advertisement



1st September 2011

Finally, A young woman fair got her own scooter, congratulations!
"An American beauty" got her own scooter, she became freer than ever. I would like to make a nickname for your scooter. how about "Black Pretty" for him? I think it will be good match with "an American Beauty". It will depend on you. :):):) In your living district, Chagoyangguo(朝陽區), my 8 year-ago-student is living there to study a Chinese economy and law. a weeks ago, I met her in DAEGU city downtown. she is on summer vacation. soon or later, she will back to her college in Beijing. I had 6 princesses who I taught 8 years ago, she is one of six princesses. now she become a college woman in Beijing, China. she gave me a soft brown sweater in harmony with this coming Autumn. thanks to her, Four princesses except for two princesses reunited in Daegu city downtown. we had a good dinner in korean restaurant with all together. It was good time. I hope "A young woman fair" will find a elusive and strong helmet as soon as possible. Take a good of yourself in the crowded Middle Kingdom city, Beijing. P.S. I loaded a new article in my blog, if you possible, please leave your comments or your evaluation about my articles.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb