SO,SO HOT!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 19th 2010
Published: February 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi

Having such a great time. The children are wonderful and so cute. I am now in the second class (one up from the toddlers and really missing them). My new class are now reading Biff and Kipper. It is lovely in the morning (I take the first class - one hour and then the Khmer teacher takes the second class). I just help out with pronounciation.

I think I told you about the two very attractive young doctors we have had visiting . Last night was their last night before moving on to Phnom Penh and everyone was invited out to celebrate. Bob and I have been out a couple of times to eat in the town but have mostly eaten upstairs in the restaurant and then bed about 10, on Wednesday night lights out at 9.00!! So we ordered 3 Tuk Tuk's mode of transport. We started off in an Indian restaurant,Kama Sutra - excellent food and then came the pub crawl up and down Pub Street (original). All quite merry and then onto the Angkor Bar with lots of dancing- we arrived home at 1.00 ish this morning - woke up at 5 am with a sore head, took a pill then went back to sleep. This morning everyone looked hungover. Then we had our 30 minute bike ride to work. Fortunately today is "play day". God knows why but Bob and I thought it would be a good idea to teach the kids rounders (98 degrees). They had a great time. The class in the morning are different kids to the afternoon so we had to play it again! So glad when the bell rang at 3pm - back on the bikes in the searing heat (please don't be jealous).

A few of the children have turned up with bad bruising on their torsos - really horrible. Anyway it was explained as "coining". If a childhas a fever or cold they rub their bodies hard with a coin and put Tiger Balm on it. It clearly doesn't work and in fact we would call it child abuse. The children that attend the English classes are extremely poor and usually turn up with the same clothes each day/week and are absolutely filthy. Most of the children smile most of the day and are good fun but a few look very sad. Apparently Government statistics show that 85% of Cambodian children are either sexually or physically abused so we can understand the sadness behind theeyes. When cycling through the villages all the children shout out "hello, how are you?" Riding the bike is still very scary although getting used to it. They literally come racing out of a side turning and negotiating the roundabouts is a nightmare you just have to carry on cycling and hope they see you, it is more dangerous to stop! No entrys are used as 2 way traffic.

Every year in Siem Reap they have a puppet parade and on Thursday morning Bob and I went to a school where all the preparation is. We had to stick tissue onto bamboo models - great fun. Next Saturday is the big parade and all the volunteers have to take part walking around the town and outskirts.

Tomorrow (yipee!) we are off to the swimming pool for the day and most probably Sunday morning too. In the afternoon one of the staff has a birthday party. There will be a pool there, drinks and BBQ so looking forward to that.

Tonight will be a quiet night in as we are knackered from the alcohol last night, rounders and the heat.

So that's all our news for now.

Hope this is fairly interesting for you.

Love Lyn and Bob x

Advertisement



19th February 2010

Sounds like you are having a terrific time........can't wait to catch up with you when you get back. love Linda x
19th February 2010

A Drop in the Bucket
It's interesting to read about what you and Bob are doing. Coincidentally, a faculty member at Emerson College (where I work) has become involved with a project to dig wells to provide clean water for the people of Cambodia. She teaches photography at Emerson. She has made a short film about the project in Cambodia called A Drop in the Bucket, and she will be in Cambodia again in a couple of weeks to work on shooting a feature-length documentary about the project. The need there is so great, really heartbreaking, and it's extraordinary that for about $300 you can have a well dug that will provide clean water for many people who don't have it. Sometime you must let me know how you became involved in the work that you are doing; it sounds like a wonderful way to speak some of your retirement time.
20th February 2010

Great
Enjoyed your email and it sounds as if you are having a great time despite the heat. The children will always remember the good times with you both and I am beginning to think it will be very difficult for you to leave. We are enjoying our bright, sunny even warm February and the winter Olympics in Vancouver. Claire, Todd and I went to Vancouver yesterday to check things out (also had Sophie and Rowen with us - Rowen was so excited as it was his first time on the skytrain). We met up with Maurice and had a really great time. We left Todd with Maurice and later Todd met up with his friend Larry and they watched a hockey game (Latvia v ?) and then on to Hockey House where Wayne Gretsky (one of the most famous Canadian hockey players ever), was making an appearance. Todd was thrilled to see him and actually got Wayne's autograph on his Canadain Olympic hockey shirt. Looks as if Douglas and Ann may come over for a visit in May when we will be off to Palm Springs in our motorhome so that will be fun. We keep in touch every couple of weeks but have not seen them for almost 8 years. That's all for now, looking forward to your next installment and be careful on those bikes!! Love, Jill PS. Maurice was asking about you both and was very interested to hear what you were doing. He sends his best wishes.
23rd February 2010

No sympathy!
Hiya to two of my favourite people. What an experience- so jealous..I bet the time is flying by and just be thankful that you are away from the bloody awful weather here. Hasn't stopped raining since Mum and I moved in last Wednesday - she is itching to get into the garden and frustrated at the murky weather. The culture changes must seem quite shocking and 'child line' would be inundated if it existed where you are but I suspect that there is an exceptance that this is just how their lives are. Must be challenging not to get really personally involved with their plight especially when witnessing apparent neglect. Missing you but feel part of your adventure via the blogs. love to you both from Mum and I xx

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb