STARTING WORK!!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 8th 2010
Published: February 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi

On Friday we had our orientation of Siem Reap and induction at Grace House. At dinner that evening we were told about a hotel that has a salt water large swimming pool and gym - hooray! Friday night stayed in and ate in the guest house roof restaurant and had an early night - travelling caught up with us. On Saturday we were given our bikes and cycled into town - very bloody scary no particular road rules but we were fine. We joined the hotel pool and gym for one month and had two good days on the sunbeds and swimming. Lyn went into the gym for half an hour and spent the rest of the day by the pool sunning ourselves and upsetting the Norweigan hotel guests, well not us exactly as a few of the younger volunteers arrived and sort of took over the pool . On Saturday night we were invited to join Jakob and Michael at their six months celebration (half way through their posting). A local Khymer joint, cheap food and even cheaper beer (beer tower - less than $4). On the menu was boat crickets and deep fried frog - passed on those two.

On Sunday cycled early to the pool. Bob left about 1.00 to go and watch the football tournament with the kids from the project. It was very hot and they played barefoot with a real football on a sand pitch with hardly any grass. He returned to the pool and we stayed there until 4.00pm. We ate at the rooftop restaurant and Bob had a roast pork dinner and I had a roast pork sandwich - Brits on holiday! although we have been eating Khymer food otherwise.

Today we cycled to the project (about 30 mins) mostly along a dirt track through villages. The children were delightful. They have two groups attending one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I am working with pre-school kids and they were so sweet but a bit difficult to organise - they do not appear to have any imagination and were at a loss as to what to do with crayons and paper. The afternoon group were very good so Ellie (project worker) and I did flash cards with alphabet and pictures. The project starts at 9.00 - 11.00 with a five minute break (no bloody coffee/tea just water). A lunch cooked by some of the kids parents and start again at 1.00 with a five minute break and finish at 3.00. A volunteer was needed to read English from 3-4 so as nobody else offered Lyn did. The students are older and were asking me how old I was, was I married. I had just said that I was and Bob appeared into the room to repair a cupboard so I introduced him and one of the girls said "handsome man"so I said that I would be watching her and Bob said that she probably needed glasses. Bob's first job was to put together a card giraffe for height measuring in the medical room (a young doctor arrived this afternoon from England and is going to check all the kids). He cleaned windows, put kiddy stickers on windows and walls of medical room. Finally he cut a huge worktop for a new computer bench which was delivered today. Right up his street. After a hot and dusty 30 minute ride back we immediately had a cup of tea/coffee - bliss. We are both extremely hot and sweaty but really enjoyed the day. We are now off to shower, change and go out on the town with other volunteers - probably end up as a very pissy night.

If you decide to comment please put your name at the bottom so we know who it is! We think we have worked out who is who this time.

More soon.

Lyn and Bob xx



Advertisement



8th February 2010

Bob
At least you did not introduce him as your father ;) I should probley sit in on your class to improve my writting skills, but when it comes to coloring, I am sure to move quickly up to t advace. Let me know if you need me to send some instant lipton. Love you both Gigi
8th February 2010

fab
Sounds absolutely fabulous......keep up the good work. xx
8th February 2010

GREAT START GIRLFRIEND
Lovely to hear from you and know that everything is A OK so far. Bloody snowing here today guys, but not really settling this time. Completely cream crackered with all the packing but on the home straight. Can't believe you passed on the cricket and frog experience, you may well succumb a little further into the experience. Thinking of you both - keep it coming. loveAnnexxxx
10th February 2010

pre-schools
Wish it was me! You need to model for pre-schools - that means you do it with them and show them how. For example drawing their friend, an animal, a piece of fruit, something from one of their story books - anything. A good rule is you have to become a child too! They will love you joining in with anything and talking to them to encouraging them. Enjoy!! Lots of love to you both. Love reading all about it. Jxx
16th February 2010

Hello u 2
Lovely to read your blogs, as witty as usual. Horrible weather here, rainy and cold so enjoy the sun. We ha ve just returned from Spain and it was rather cold for the first few days and then warmed up around 18 deg. thereafter. Look forward to the next instalment and don't forget the pictures if possible, lovely to see you as well. Love Patricia (and, of course, Joseph) xxx

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.016s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb