ARRIVED SAFELY IN SIEM REAP


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
February 5th 2010
Published: February 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone

We have always moaned about people at airports not knowing the rules around bottles containing no more than 100 ml in hand luggage and displayed in clear plastic bags; well we both had our bags searched! and guess what Lyn's moisturiser had fallen out of the bag. Also Bob was carrying Lyn's hairdryer and unbeknown to him there was a 150 ml container laid bare which was confiscated and cost us 7GB pounds to replace.

Had a very good plane journey and slept for about 8 hours thanks to Phenergan tablets so we arrived in good shape. On reaching Siem Reap Lyn's bag had to be searched again as a bottle of perfume bought at Heathrow was not in a plastic bag! Fortunately this was not confiscated. We were met by Nick who is the Volunteer Coordinator who took us to our accommodation which is very spacious and has two double beds. He then invited us to attend a Pub Quiz and could we be ready in one hour - so fast unpacking, shower and out. We met a few other volunteers and had a good night with several bacardis and beers. This morning we were given an induction talk by Nick and then an orientation trip around Siem Reap. Back to the room for coffee and then we were taken by Tuk Tuk to Grace House which will be our place of work. Met all the children and school rooms. Stayed for the afternoon just observing. They have a plan for a new large vegetable garden which needs fencing and irrigation so Bob will be busy when not teaching. He was told by Bridget (Manager) that local Cambodian men will assist by doing most of the manual work (Bob supervising mostly).

Everyone that we have met seems really friendly and helpful. There is a restaurant on the top floor where we can buy breakfast, lunch and dinner. Bob had a full English today with fried bread (yummy). We are now going back to the room for a coffee, shower and relax. Will be going out to eat this evening in one of the many restaurants/bars. Tomorrow evening we have been invited by Jakob (German lad) to a party in one of the restaurants to celebrate him being half way through his one year placement. This is an option in lieu of National Service.

It is very hot and humid today which is fairly unusual for this time of year.

That's all for now.

Lyn and Bob x

Advertisement



5th February 2010

Beware the spare double bed, they will be trying to sub let to a couple of Aussie back packers.......actually Dad....business oportunity there...... Have fun.
5th February 2010

Glad you arrived safely
I'm glad that you arrived safely and that you are getting adjusted to your new surroundings. I thought that you might be in a remote area, but it sounds quite urban with many restaurants and bars. I don't know if I mentioned to you that a faculty member at the college where I work has been helping digs wells in Cambodia and made a short film about the work that is being done there. It sounds like something that I would consider doing in retirement - a chance to help others and learn about a new culture. I'll be very interested to read about your experience there, and look forward to seeing you in late April in Kent to hear more about it.

Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.2s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb