Dolphins, spices, tattoos and marriage proposals...Zanzibar styley


Advertisement
Africa
October 5th 2007
Published: October 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

2/3 October days 6/7/8? Zanzibar - Stone town - North Coast
This all seems like a blur now, so i'm trying to remember dates and what I did etc, but my head is in a bit of a spin.... The crossing on the ferry over to Zanzibar island was pukesville(!) I just sat as still and quiet as possible and concentrated until we got there.. On approaching the island the beaches looked amazing, long stretches of pure white sand and turquoise waters - breathtaking - can't believe i'm here! Once at the lodge, we head off on a spice tour, I thought it may be a bit boring, but in fact it was great. seeing everything growing in it's own environment, weird and wonderful fruits such as the custard apple, sort of looks like a prickly avo, but has a white fleshy inner that tastes of sherbert! We drank coconut milk from coconuts that had just been lopped off and there were loads of awesome plants, even one with a pod that when opened you can mush up and create the best orangey red lippy...we christened it natures lipstick!Exhausted after the spice tour we took a walk around the night food market, oh my god, it was yumsville and such a bustling amosphere, loads of colourful stalls and amazing sounds and smells all around. We had zanzibar pizzas which are basically crepes filled with meats and veges and then for dessert, ones filled with chocolate and bananas..... we didn't feel at all uneasy at the market, until it got till about 10.30 and we need to head home. The streets are a cavernous maze of little streets, nearly pitch black and on realising this Sarah started to freak out a bit...so Amanda and I took control, walking confidently, not letting on to her that we were also sxxt scared!!! Then a guy we'd met at the Pizza stall came and walked us back - although Amanda and I were still highly suspicious and ready to tackle whatever may occur, Sarah was oblivious and just talked him to death...neadless to say we got home ok!The next day we were to head to the North Coast, but first Sarah and I went swimming with the dolphins.... we were on a bus with girls and guys from the UK, America and Australia. It took us a while to get to the beach, but when we did it was beautiful, pure paradise. We got our snorkels, flippers and goggles and took a hectic boat ride out to where the dolphins were. It wasn't the serene experience you'd imagine though, more like kamekazee dolphin chasing - it was like there they are now go! go! go!!!!!, we were just throwing ourselves off the boat like loonies, i've got the bruises to prove it...great fun though. Oh and this is where I got my henna tattooo!
We then make our way to Kenra Rocks, a lovely hotel right on the beach on North Coast, only thing is Amanda and I have the crappiest room and have to share a bed! Anyway I won't go into this....apart from a little agro, we had a great time over the next couple of days, pure indulgence, although being on a tropical paradise without a loved one is hard...all you want to do is be there with someone special....after a night chasing a random animal in the dark...yes amanda and I had something big and fast in our bedroom and it wasn't something a girl might wish for.. so no rude comments please!!!!!!... we decided on a pamper day....We had brekkie, a swim, went for a walk, sunbathed, then treated ourselves to a pedicure, then I had a massage, OUGH!!!! it was bliss! Then we just relaxed after dinner in a couple of hammocks until some stoned African dudes tried to marry us...TIA sweetheart!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

having my henna applied...Stonetownhaving my henna applied...Stonetown
having my henna applied...Stonetown

..it was Ramadan...lots of holyness going on...not sure the locals were too impressed by my nakedness!


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb