Sabbath


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today is Sunday and I am super excited to be able to go to Solomon Baka’s church. They have an English service at 8:30, it is real funny that they do because most people do not speak any English except “how are you”. The service was awesome. It started off slow with only about 20 people 8:30 and by 9 or 9:15 there were over 200 people packed into this little church and a whole bunch of kids on the floor. They were very animated with their singing and Bishop Simon spoke a solid sermon about bearing good fruit. We were invited to sing in front of the whole church so we decided to sing “How Great is our God” by Chris Tomlin and “Righteousness”. We weren’t very good but they enjoyed it so we were happy to see them cheerful. We played with many of the kids after church before walking over to Solomon Baka’s house to meet his family and wife who is from Congo and only speaks French. He told us that they used to live in Congo but had to relocate because of the tribal wars going on in the country. We went back to Amazing Grace and played with the kids there until lunch. After eating, we said our goodbyes, loaded into the lorry packed full of our trunks and took off for St. Bartholomew’s orphanage in Kajo Keji, Sudan. The ride was fantastic because we got to stand on all our stuff and hold on to the bars going over the top of the bed. A lorry is a pickup truck like vehicle but much bigger. The roads in Sudan are horrible; it made our ride from Kampala to Adjumani feel like cake. As we were riding through we began to wave at some of the people and they were so excited to have some Mundo’s/Gelia’s (white people) wave at them. Near the Uganda Sudan border we had to cross the Nile River which was an awesome and experience. We all packed onto this ferry full of a whole bunch of people, a few large buses and our lorry. We continued through the countryside and saw the most amazing sunset I’ve ever seen, even better than the one’s in Costa Rica. We arrived at St. Bartholomew’s around dark and again were greeted by a host of singing children, yet there were many more than last time and they seemed livelier than the one’s in Adjumani. They all danced around and sang us songs, it truly warmed our hearts. After unloading the lorry we introduced ourselves to all the kids who were very polite. This place is much bigger than Amazing Grace in Adjumani and everything seems to be newer. To my understanding Susan wants to bring all the children from Adjumani to Kajo Keji because they believe that Adjumani will become a ghost town once all the refugees come home. I am so thrilled to be here and I thank God for allowing me to live with the people for a year. I am still very emotional and the littlest things almost set me off. I believe this is God’s process of softening my heart, something that I have prayed for, for so long. I am excited to see what happens next.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb