St. Bartholomew


Advertisement
South Sudan's flag
Africa » South Sudan » Kajo Keji County
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we have to go meet with the commissioner of Kajo Keji. They have a custom that when guests or visitors come, they must meet with him and sign the guest book. Lasu’s friend David came to pick us up and we left. The commissioner is a super chill guy and very smart. He is also a believer so it was exciting to have an ally in politics. Mama Susan mentioned to him that they need workers for the orphanage and we discussed bartering for their services. I mentioned to him that I would assist in any way possible and if he needed any of my skills I was available. Most people have very limited knowledge of the computer and everyone wants to learn so I knew I could use that to work a deal. While we were leaving we met some Spanish guys who were filming a documentary of the area and were planning on portraying the message that there was going to be another war soon. We alerted the commissioner before leaving and he was very grateful. We left there and traveled to the old market where Lasu’s family has a plot of land and many of his family members lived. We then swung by the diesis of the area and were greeted by all the bishops. By this time we were very tired and requested to go back to the orphanage. After napping we played games with the kids, one of which included wheel barrel racing. Two kids would sit on a busted wheel barrel and I would push them across the soccer field and back again. Let me just mention how tiring this is. After about six times back and forth, I was breathing hard so I got them all to start a game of volleyball. This lasted for about two minutes before it turned into pass the soccer ball around the circle. While we were playing I noticed some of the younger kids, which they call the babies, getting baths. After they were finished bathing, they would all sit on this mat outside of the tukul and stay there on the mat until it was time for bed. It was crazy because they would play for hours on the mat without leaving and without fighting or crying. We just relaxed most of the evening until devotion time and then went to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb