You know that you're a true backpacker when...


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
December 7th 2007
Published: December 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Jambo!

We are now enjoying the last 10 days of our incredible journey to all these wonderful places. We can't complain when we get to spend the end of it on Zanzibar! 😊 As you have to wait for the photos of the gorgeous beaches (we don't want to make you guys sitting at home in the rain too jealous) we've spent some of our time at the beach reflecting on some of the less favourable things about backpacking. We have loved travelling like this, but getting towards the end we are starting to long for clean clothes etc. In true Facebook spirit we have created a little list with things that we think gives some idea about how it sometimes is to be a backpacker. You are more than welcome to help us add some things to it, and we are of course aware that the things we have found might not be true for all backpacking travels, maybe we are just a little bit crazy, who knows. We'd also like to make clear that we're not saying that all these things are true for us or for this trip, but we aren't denying it either...😉

So according to us YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE A TRUE BACKPACKER WHEN...

1...you think that toilet paper and soap on the toilet is an incredible luxury.

2...you will take mosquito repellent to actually smell a little bit nicer.

3...you no longer know how fresh and clean clothes smell like.

4...you will roll around in the sand on the beach to get a nice body pealing, and hopefully get away some of the dirt stuck on you from the dusty roads.

5...you will buy meal replacement powder/dieting powder to get a nutritious meal.

6...you no longer care that you are doing your dishes in cold water, without washing-up liquid or a brush.

7...you think it's 'Hakuna matata' (no worries) to hand wash your underwear in the sink, in cold water (hey 1,5 months in Africa without a laundry machine in sight, what can you do).

8...you no longer have any idea what weekday it is, let alone what date or time, and sometimes not even what country you are in.

9...you don't mind sitting in the lap of the locals for several hours sweating on a bus or in a mini van, and instead you start to see it as a part of the cultural experience.

10...you don't think its a problem showering without an actual shower for two weeks together with an uncountable number of insects. As long as there is water we are happy (what hot water feels like we have since long forgotten).

11...when the airplane food is the best you've eaten in a long time.

12...when you have started to think that big spiders above your bed when you're sleeping is quite alright, after all cockroaches are so much worse.

13...you think that yoghurt and cereal is a good dinner, or most of all; you think it's cheap and nice.

14...you have gotten used to the fact that it might take you 20 minutes to just log on to your mail.

15...you will carry your money on about six different places on your body underneath your clothes.

16...you have forgotten what you have at the bottom of your backpack. It is after all so much handier to just wear what is at the top of your bag, in other words the dirty ones you wore the day before.

17...you don't think it's strange to have to wait on a bus for several hours before it leaves since you by now have gotten used to the fact that no bus leaves before every seat (and usually also the aisle) is completely full.


Advertisement



8th December 2007

jambo jambo!!..jambo fuck off!!!!!!!!
when i had gone to the room you were staying in at simac i never thought those cutted container were being used for a shower that was realy nice and wonderful idea i will tel Grainne and Lois also to be using them Ah Ah..!!!!!!!!
9th December 2007

Saknar er!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb