Pole Pole


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
June 11th 2007
Published: June 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are enjoying our time in Zanzibar. Life here is pole pole (slowly). We spent the first 3 days in Stone Town, a old Arabic/Indian influenced city on the shore. It's pretty cool, the roads are like little alleyways, people drive scooters because cars don't fit down half of the roads. We took a walking tour of Stone Town the first day and saw many interesting things: the fish market, the old slave trade chambers, churches, the old fort, the old sultan's palace, The place of Freddie Mercury's birth (from queen), and many old architectural buildings. We went out for dinner to a little restaurant where you sit on the floor.

The next day we combined 2 tours - Spice Tour and Prison Island Tour.
We headed out to the government owned spice farms to learn about Zanzibar's biggest and oldest export - spices. We saw many spices growing and got to sample some and a lot of interesting fruits too. We had a curry lunch and then headed out to our next tour. Prison island, is about a 20 minute boat ride from Stone Town. (using a wooden dhow boat with a "machine" aka engine). We went snorkeling in the reefs around the island and then toured the tortoise sanctuary. they have 100 year old tortoises that Zanzibar recieved as a gift from Seychelles. In return they gave them plants and spices.

Some of our CCS volunteer friends arrived for the weekend and we headed out to dinner at a place called Mercurys, on the beach.

The next day we headed up to Kendwa beach at the north end of the island. we have been here ever since and plan to stay until we start the 42 hour journey back home on Friday (from beach to EDM airport). The beach is beautiful - white sand, turquoise water, not very crowded. We went to a beach party at the neighbouring "hotel" on saturday night. Yesterday we took a boat to a little island for snorkeling. It was great, i took some underwater photos with my camera.

Since then we have been lounging around and relaxing. I am enjoying that there aren't roosters here to wake you up at 5am! Finally I am getting to sleep in!

Not much else going on, i'll be home soon! seeyah then!

Advertisement



13th June 2007

Yay for no roosters!! Have fun lounging Heath, can't wait to see you!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb