Ngorogoro


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ngorogoro

 Africa » Tanzania » Ngorogoro Crater By Tamsin
June 15th 2007
Tamsin Sebba
Friday 15th

Amazing morning - 6.30 breakfast (with another hot chocolate) and then drove down into the Crater. The first thing that we saw was nine lionesses and one lion. They looked like they were stalking a warthog, but it noticed & ran off.

Inside the Crater is a big lake, with a few flamingos, zebra, wildebeest and Thompson gazelle milling about. It is really pretty with the mountains surrounding it. We spotted two black rhino in the distance (but they were sat down), two cheetahs (close up) and lots of hippo sitting in the sun.

There was so much to see, including crested crane, kori buster, jackal, hyena, warthog, ostrich, buffalo, vervet monkey, Grant gazelle and hartebeest.

Back to the campsite for lunch, cooked by our cook, Justin. Very good food - and he washes up!

Then journey back to Arusha, where I went to an interesting Masai museum. When leaving the museum we were bombarded by ladies selling curios, where I used up the last of my Tanzanian Shillings. Spent the evening in the campsite bar as it was the truck’s last evening together.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The craterThe crater
The crater

2km across, 21km around and 620m deep
Maissi museumMaissi museum
Maissi museum

very informative but some of the models are a bit freeky
The very unipressive landmark The very unipressive landmark
The very unipressive landmark

representing the half way point from Cape town to Cairo


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb