Crocodile Bridge in Kruger Park


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Kruger National Park
February 15th 2014
Published: February 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

With no problems from the Swaziland roads and getting through both borders in about ten minutes we were very soon picking up supplies from the Komatipoort Spar before entering Kruger Park.<br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" /><br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" />First stop was going to be Crocodile Bridge which has always been one of our favourite camps as it has always been small and quiet.<br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" /><br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" />Not so any more. Since they moved the entrance gate to right next to the camping area you are now subject to vehicles coming and going at all hours. Morning drive and night drive vehicles from 5am up until 10pm, staff roaring in and out in their vehicles with lots of shouting going on as well. Not to mention the late arriving guests and those that just think camp closing gate times are for everyone else.<br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" /><br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" />In spite of all this just between the sunset drive getting back and before the night drive went out we heard a lion taking an impala. We couldn't see anything and of course could not investigate as the gates were closed but we heard the loud animal growling sounds and the moaning sounds from the victim. We saw two night drive vehicles leave the camp and stop at the kill site which was about 200 metres from us and watch with their spotlights. We were told the next morning what it had been. I don't think many people in the camp heard this as they were making so much noise and no one else seemed to be looking.<br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" /><br style="color:� font-family: UICTFontTextStyleBody; font-size: 17px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;" />The hyena didn't circle the camp as she used to, maybe because it is so busy now. Game viewing wasn't very good in the area with some lion sightings but not very close, elephant of course and the plains game such as zebra, impala, giraffe, wildebeest and buffalo.



In spite of all this it was still lovely to be back in the Park which still seems to be kept up to a high standard, not necessarily so the staff, but more on that later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb