Hlane Game Reserve, Swaziland


Advertisement
Swaziland's flag
Africa » Swaziland
February 14th 2014
Published: February 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Arriving at Hlane Reserve we were met by some very pleasant people on the gate who welcomed us back when we said we had stayed here before.Our check in at reception was quite straightforward if somewhat leisurely, no one really rushes but it is difficult for us to get used to that pace of life.



We were also pleased to see the campsite is still in very good condition with plenty of trees for shade, braais for cooking and picnic tables as well as stone built wash up and preparation areas with water dotted around the site. The showers are basic but clean and still have the oil lamps for lighting and a lovely old boiler out the back for hot water, feed it logs and you have a hot shower!



The waterhole was the same, right by the restaurant with only two very low electrified strands of wire to keep the animals out. Although I've never heard of any incidents here so presumably the animals know how to behave. We saw elephant, plenty of rhino, at times only metres from us as well as waterbuck, kudu, impala and giraffe. We watched the woodpeckers and saw plenty of bird life.



The ostrich that stole our meat last time we stayed here was gone so maybe he ended up being too much of a nuisance.



We heard he lions roaring all night long, so much so hat Andy suspected it was a recording but I don't believe that.



We stayed for two nights but agreed we could stay longer next time, it's lovely to take chairs, binoculars, drinks and even our books and sit at the waterhole in the shade for hours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb