Cruise on the St.Lucia Wetland Park and Hilda the Hippo being mounted.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Saint Lucia
November 13th 2014
Published: November 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Cruise on the St.Lucia Wetland Park and Hilda the Hippo being mounted.

We arrived at the cruise around noon, and promptly entered the boat and sat up front so I could see everything. We would be going about 6 km down the river to see the Hippo habitats. On our way we encountered some Big Alligators sunning themselves. They were about 17 .5 feet long. Big ugly dinosaurs if you ask me. Kept a respectable distance. Was having a beer when we came upon a pod of Hippos bathing. Off to one side we found Hilda the Hippo carousing with a gentleman Hippo and then THAT gentleman subtly mounted Hilda from behind. She let out a yell and opened her mouth in anger or rapture. We will never know. The other Hippos in the pod looked not to distressed so we guessed it was okay. Lol. Hippos cannot swim and usually stay in water where they can touch the river bed. They duck their heads and twiddle their ears and bob up and down. I handled a dead Hippo tooth, pic to come. It weighed about 7 pounds and was about a foot long. Imagine the novacane you would have to give the Hippo to extract that tooth. 20 minutes later we headed back and on our way encountered some more Weaver birds nesting in the reeds instead of trees. Bright colourful yellow birds who do not mind the attention. We headed afterwords for a seafood lunch and had Calamari and fish platter and a Bavarian Beer to wash it down. MMMMmmm good. As we headed out of the area we stopped by the Indian ocean to put our feet in the water just to say we touched the sea. Great day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.596s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.2944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb